Sign in with
Your question

20A Single 12v Rail enough for HD7850?

Last response: in Components
November 27, 2012 11:45:00 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased an MSI R7850 2GB Power Edition.

It's already installed, and I'm running Borderlands 2 very well. However, my PSU has 20A on a single +12v rail. Is this enough?

When I ran BF3, I got white "snow" dots everywhere on the screen, but I'm not sure if this is related.

Thanks for the help.
a c 299 ) Power supply
November 27, 2012 1:19:43 PM

mr_vega said:
Hi,

I recently purchased an MSI R7850 2GB Power Edition.

It's already installed, and I'm running Borderlands 2 very well. However, my PSU has 20A on a single +12v rail. Is this enough?

When I ran BF3, I got white "snow" dots everywhere on the screen, but I'm not sure if this is related.

Thanks for the help.

Hi - What brand & model is this PSU?

Some suppliers publ conservative specs and some outright lie/overstate.

I suspect your issue with bf3 is PSU related

Tom
November 30, 2012 8:29:15 PM

Hi again,

So I bought a Corsair CX500. 38A on the 12v. It seems to be working fine. I'm glad I got it, regardless.

However, the problem I was having with BF3, which I thought was caused by the old PSU, is now showing up in Borderlands as well as BF3. When looking at certain textures, or sometimes just everywhere - I have these small white bunched-together dots dancing across the screen.

Here are a few screenshots:

Additional info: The GPU is not running hot (58 degrees), the CPU is not overheating either. The GPU is not even overclocked yet. I have the latest Catalyst drivers, and MOBO drivers. The entire system is brand new, other than the HDD.

I've seen similar issues on other forums. I really hope it is not the Graphics Card. I already had a DOA motherboard which I got refunded.

Any ideas? Thanks :-)
January 22, 2013 9:28:20 AM

I had same problem, i bought 2 hd7850 for 2 home pcs and both displayed all kind of junk on the screen randomly while playing a video or been idle on the desktop, or gaming.
I installed the beta 12.11
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Bet...

And the problems are gone, might need to remove all previous drivers before installing. worth a try.
I know 13.1 is out but 12.11 works good for me and i don't wanna change something that is not broken.
!