Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Edition Power Hookup Question

VT17Fan

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I installed my new Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Edition graphics card into my motherboard last night and was having problems with the power hookup from the card to the power supply. The card requires one 8 pin power connection and one 6 pin connection. I'm using the same power supply from my last computer and thought the cables would transfer over. Power supply is a Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W. I have a 6 pin connector coming out of the power supplies PCI express side and the other end has a 6 pin +2 connector that I thought would work in the 8 pin slot. I looked at it for a long time and the connections just didn't seem to match. The cables that were included with the graphics card are one 8 pin to molex and one 6 pin to molex. Am I missing something here or should the 6 +2 pin connection fit the 8 pin and if not what kind of cable do I need for the 8 pin connection going from the graphics card to the power supply?

VT17Fan

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Yeah just looking at the cables there wasn't really any question, but as I kept looking at the connections they just didn't seem to match. In my defense it was about 2:30 AM so my vision may have been a little impaired by being so tired lol. I'll work with the 6 +2 pin connector again when I get home and look at the other cables I have to see if any of the other 6 +2 pins I have are any different.

VT17Fan

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Yeah it has the dual fans, but mine is the OC edition and has one 8 pin connection and one 6 pin. The power cords I have actually worked. I had to put the 2 pin connector and the 6 pin together then plug them in at the same time. Previously I was trying to plug in one and then the other and the 2 pin connection wouldn't stay plugged in. Actually there is a small tab that will hold the 2 pin connector in with the 6 pin connector and then you can plug them in together as one 8 pin connection. After doing this I felt like an idiot lol.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Glad you got it working but I'm like max here. I have the Sapphire 7950 OC Edition and mine uses 2x 6 pin connectors.