1st time builder (Need help and tips)

USMC0353

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
PC Build

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR​)

Ram: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800 Desktop Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2

CD:Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

CASE: Antec One

Aftermarket cooler: CM Hyper 212 +

I am very nervous about building a PC, but I want to do it myself and make sure I do it right. I have a couple questions.

1. Do I need any screws and SATA cables? I noticed my harddrive saying "bare" as in maybe it comes with no cables.

2. I was told I should get thermal paste, what kind should I get?

3. Should I wear gloves or anything?

4. Is there a guide I can look at to guide me in building my first PC.

Sorry if I am such an amateur, I just want to make sure my first build goes smoothly.

Solution

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Some PC Cases and motherboards come with screws and SATA cables. You'll want to doublecheck your choice to see if it has any.

The CPU cooler has it's own thermal compound, so don't worry about getting any thermal paste.

Never seen anyone wear gloves, but you should keep the PC Case nearby so you can touch it once in a while to discharge any static electricity you may accrue. There's also some anti-static wristband things I've seen, but I dunno if those are actually effective at all.

There's a newegg build a pc video on youtube that you can watch. Actually, there's a few different PC building videos on youtube you can look at.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

That's a fantastic build for your first time! That is about the same as my current build and I've built tons of computers!

1. Most motherboards come with two SATA cables, because their is such a big market for OEM harddrives. You should be fine, but it can't hurt to double check right? As for screws, unless you are getting any used parts, or reusing some, all the screws should be there. Also, most computer screws are pretty common so dont fret if you lose one

2. That CPU cooler comes with Cooler Master brand thermal paste which is great!

3. Do NOT wear gloves. You'd think it would help, but many of the computer components are very delicate and you need the sensitive nerves on your fingers to handle and put together the components. Also, to reduce the risk of ESD which can fry your components, I suggest you use an ESD bracelet, so you don't have to worry about touching the case every 5 seconds. I use one of these to build computers for my friends and family, and has never let me down. You can get one for like 5 bucks.

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls <--- Right there is a MEGA in depth computer guide by Newegg. I used this when I built my computer; I would suggest watching it first so that you know what you are doing, and then you can follow it again while you are building.

And don't even worry about being new! Everyone was new once! It's nice to see someone that is thankful and curious about these forums! If you have any other concerns feel free to reply and ill answer it right away! Enjoy your great build!

Solution