CPU kit Upgrade - but Silent

meed2000

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi,

I currently have a very silent PC, I built a few years ago (3ghz dual core phenom II - 4 GB of ram, pretty bad motherboard, radeon 3850).
I got a very sleek case with great (branded) power supply, and silent fans all over the place (bought some good zalman with variable rpm, and case fans are silent).

Now I would like to upgrade all of this with some Intel iCore (my guess..), maybe more RAM, but I want to keep all of this as Silent as it is, preferably reusing the gear I have as I prove total silence.

The main reason to upgrade is to play starcraft2 with best FPS, and have more power overall for desktop usage.

I'm tempted to just by some certified overcloacked KIT, like the iCore 5 at 4.x Ghz, but unsure about that fan on top of it, I feel it would just ruin my silent environment.
Otherwise, what other component you recommend ? I saw many people who went for the Z77 Extreme4 with iCore5.

In term of graphical cards I'm not too fuss about it, as I could upgrade as needed once I desire to.

What do you think?

Edit: Budget $400 to $900

Thank you,

Med.

Yea a Budget would need to be in order. than we would could give you some options. Like you said a Core I5 and Extreme4 is pretty popular. Just check my sig... I'm one of them

meed2000

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Sorry guys, I don't have a specific budget, but I don't see myself spend over $1000 on this.
It looked to me that spending around $500 (for CPU/Motherboard/RAM, and accessories like new fan if needed) would be the 'right' investment, as beyond that it would be a less significant gain of performance per $.

So I'm pretty flexible, $400 to $900

meed2000

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Thei5-3570k with a ASrock extreme 4 has great value thats why it is used so much.
As for the GPU I'd go with a 660ti/670 from MSI power edition as they run very silent while cooling efficiently.
The heatsink can something from a budget evo212+ to a noctua d14.Just make sure you replace the fans on the noctua if you find it too loud.

meed2000

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Ok - I will just go for the ASRock/i5 couple then.
About the graphic cards, I was considering one less powerful, as I don't play very high end games, to save money and to target some more quiet card.

The Noctua heatsink look Massive, is that required with no overclock ? I will dig around for some other sink/fan kit see what I find - I doubt my Zalman CNPS8000 is compatible with iCore proc.

Thank you !