Sign in with
Your question

Home Build Graphics Problem

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2012 12:59:37 AM

Hey guys, I recently finished building my first home/custom build and the specs are as follows:

i5 2550k 3.4Ghz
Palit Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Gigabyte Ga-H61M-D2H-Usb3
G.Skill 4GB 133Mhz Ripjaws
OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Modular
Zalman Performa CPU Cooler
All packed away in a Themaltake Tsunami Dream

The problem i have is that every time i boot the computer up from being turned off for about an hour or two i get a black screen displaying red wording which reads something along the lines of please connect the power to the graphics card and restart the system. Now when this happened first i removed the 6-pin power connectors x2 from my graphics card and re connected them and it worked, today however the message, quite annoyingly, came on again this morning. Now i did the same process and it didnt work, so i removed the card and re inserted it, attached the power cables again and it worked. It crashed and i had to repeat the process, i was just wondering if this was the graphics card, motherboard or cables. I have a new card on order which i hope is going to arrive tomorrow so i will try that card and see how it goes but some feedback from here would be awesome.

The card on order is the XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB.

Thanks.
July 17, 2012 1:36:16 AM

why are you getting another last last last generation card? you need a 7850 man

to test for graphics, plug it into a older machine and see if it works
July 17, 2012 2:08:25 AM

In my limited experience its the card. (as a modular PSU it could be the cables if they aren't in tight on the other end.) Card plugs are working loose and need to be replaced. And I agree, why such older cards?
!