Sign in with
Your question

Problem since installing GTX 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 8:48:57 PM

ok, i'm 99% sure that my new GTX 670 is the source of my problem, but i figure i'd put it out there in case someone else thinks of another possibility (because i simply don't want to believe it's my new GTX 670).

i bought and installed an MSI GTX 670 (model N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC) two weeks and i've been having a problem with the monitor randomly going blank due to loss of signal, forcing me to restart. i've not had such (or any) problem previously with the GTX 280 it replaced. i've been unable to reproduce the problem on demand, it just happens randomly.

among other things - i've updated all BIOS, firmwares, drivers, etc with no effect - even the latest nvidia drivers (v301.42 released yesterday). i confirmed cables are all snug; i've tried swapping out different RAM and PSU to verify they're not the issue (would have also done CPU if i'd a spare one), tried system restore, etc...

the last time it lost video signal this morning i noticed for a split second before the screen went blank that the image was distorted/fuzzy with many pink pixels.

like i said, i'm 99% sure my new GTX 670 is the source of the problem. so unless someone can point out that this may be a known & documented issue that will be fixed with future drivers or has any other reasonable idea of what could be causing the problem i'm preparing to return/exchange the 670 tomorrow :( 
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:09:54 PM

Install a temp program like msi afterburner. This will allow you to log temps or display them on screen. Game for a bit and watch the temp. Under heavy load that card would be fine in the 80s. In a perfect instalation it would be in the 70s. If the card hits 90s you might want to get another case fan. If the card hits 100s its defective and needs to be replaced, if it gets to 110ish it shuts down to prevent meltdown.
m
l
May 23, 2012 9:24:27 PM

Probably a defective gpu but yeah do like bucknutty said. I hope you fix it and i hope the problem isn't cause of gpu xD im planning on buying 670 too.. good luck fixing that
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 9:28:44 PM

it idles in high 30's, and when i first got it i ran furmark for about 2 hours, maxed out around 65°c, fan never had to reach 100%.
m
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:38:12 PM

Did you.....

1. Unintall GFX drivers
2. Uninstall 280 / Install 670
3. Install new drivers.

Any error messages in Event Viewer ?

Any yellow marks or warnings in Device Mangler ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 10:52:51 PM

Try disabling v-syn in the nvidia control panel just to see if that fixes it.

Nvidia has acknowledged driver issues with the 600 series and there won't be a fix till sometime in June.
m
l
May 24, 2012 3:57:44 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Did you.....

1. Unintall GFX drivers
2. Uninstall 280 / Install 670
3. Install new drivers.

Any error messages in Event Viewer ?

Any yellow marks or warnings in Device Mangler ?

didn't uninstall, but did check box for clean installation.
only related error in event viewer is code 41 (power loss from forcibly restarting).
nothing wrong in device manager.

last night i uninstalled everything nvidia, restarted, and let windows automatically search and install drivers (v301.34 i think it was). haven't had the problem since then, but the problem only happened once or twice a day anyways, so not enough time has passed to prove anything yet. if the problem doesn't resurface for another couple days then i'll assume that did it, thanks jack.

geekapproved said:
Try disabling v-syn in the nvidia control panel just to see if that fixes it.

Nvidia has acknowledged driver issues with the 600 series and there won't be a fix till sometime in June.

if it happens again i'll try that next, thanks geek.

my return window is closing, so if something is wrong i'm hoping to know soon!

m
l
May 24, 2012 5:05:00 PM

I just got and installed a 670 yesterday, I had a few issues at first, including a bsod, but I installed driver sweeper and ran it in safe mode having it clean anything that said display. Then after rebooting, I went to nvidia site and got the newest driver and installed. Had about a 5 hour intense 4 man Diablo 3 game afterward without a peep from the 670, temps maxed out around 62c
m
l
May 24, 2012 5:05:21 PM

I just got and installed a 670 yesterday, I had a few issues at first, including a bsod, but I installed driver sweeper and ran it in safe mode having it clean anything that said display. Then after rebooting, I went to nvidia site and got the newest driver and installed. Had about a 5 hour intense 4 man Diablo 3 game afterward without a peep from the 670, temps maxed out around 62c
m
l
May 25, 2012 5:13:45 PM

well, it happaned again last night, so a fresh driver install didn't do it.
tried turning off v-sync, happened again this morning anyways.

i'm pretty convinced it's a dud. (couldn't help but notice when i put my 280 back in that although it was noisier it had a smoother airflow-only noise, whereas even though the 670 was quiter it did have a bit of a rattle to it, as if the fan were not balanced quite right. must say something about its build quality)
i'll be returning it this afternoon.

this is the first MSI product i've ever purchased, and it may be my last!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 6:40:20 PM

I have a love hate with all vendors. I bought a msi gts250 years ago and it died in like 5 weeks. I rmad it and i got an old dirty refurb back. That refurb is still working in one of my extra PCs. My gtx470s are also msi, they are now 2 years old and have worked fine all along.

It seems to me all vendors have the same likely hood of falure. I have an evga 8800gtx that burned out after 4 years. I think it should have lasted longer.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:31:59 PM

Branden said:
well, it happaned again last night, so a fresh driver install didn't do it.
tried turning off v-sync, happened again this morning anyways.

i'm pretty convinced it's a dud. (couldn't help but notice when i put my 280 back in that although it was noisier it had a smoother airflow-only noise, whereas even though the 670 was quiter it did have a bit of a rattle to it, as if the fan were not balanced quite right. must say something about its build quality)
i'll be returning it this afternoon.

this is the first MSI product i've ever purchased, and it may be my last!

I just had the same problem with my MSI GTX 670. I had a GTX 460 had no problems at all until I installed this card let me play Diablo 3 for 3-4 hours at a time tried skyrim got pixilated then lost signal to monitor had to restart next day tried diablo after 2 min lost signal to monitor restarted played Diablo for about 3 hours no issues. Did stress tests at full load card never maxed above 80c Did A RMA to newegg let me know if you get a new card and its fine.
m
l
!