Graphic card for old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedArgo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello,

I have an old AMD system my kids use with a HD4670 graphics card I thought I look to replace with something newer, but looking at what's available for PCI express 2.0 I don't really see anything better for less than what I paid for the 4670 three years ago (about $70). Does that sound right? I figured after 3+ years I'd be able to get something much better, much cheaper. Any suggestions for a new card that would be significantly better or should we just stick with the 4670 and save the money for a new system?

current system:
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard
HD4670 512MB 128bit DDR3 video card

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Solution
PCI Express is backwards compatible. A 2.1 card will work in 2.0 motherboard and vice versa. Even 3.0 card would work in 1.0 motherboard :). I wouldn't have recommended them if they were not compatible, as you listed your motherboard.

RedArgo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply. It looks like those (at least at newegg) are all PCI Express 2.1 and the motherboard only supports 2.0. Guess they'll have to live with it until we get a new computer. Thanks again.

PCI Express is backwards compatible. A 2.1 card will work in 2.0 motherboard and vice versa. Even 3.0 card would work in 1.0 motherboard :). I wouldn't have recommended them if they were not compatible, as you listed your motherboard.

Solution

RedArgo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I should have never doubted you! I read someone posted that their 2.1 didn't work in 2.0, but they must have had other issues. Thanks again, that opens up a lot more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.