Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2560x1440 res, 4gb or 2gb VRAM?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 9:12:40 PM

I have now put together a healthy little system backed by the Z77 chipset and a 3570k.
The graphics card that is (temporarily!) powering the system, is a good old 8800 GS :) 

I run on one 2560x1440 monitor (and I'm not buying any more in the near future) and I have been scouring the web for vram advice regarding my new gpu.
I am going to buy a GTX 670, hands down, no question. Not buying a 680, not buying Radeon, so don't try and change my mind.
My only question at this point is whether to buy a 2gb or 4gb card. Currently I have an order with TigerDirect (I figured I might as well get in line, and cancel if I find a better deal) for EVGA's SC 4gb (yes, they're recalled, but I'll grab the FTW if I get a bad egg).

I've been looking high and low and most of what I see says that 2gb is enough, but I'm hesitant to believe all of that. Say I play Crysis 2 with the high textures mod, if I even touched AA wouldn't I run out of ram?
Also, I'm a bit fuzzy on what happens when I run out of ram. Will my framerate sky dive, will I lose a couple here and there as the ram exchanges textures?

If I don't lose too much by going 2gb, I will save the cash and SLI that much quicker. I think I've said enough though, and I'll just leave this to your knowledge.

I respect this community a lot, thank you in advance for any stats or advice you can give.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 265 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:25:25 PM

I am not convinced about the value of extra vram. I suspect the benefits are mostly marketing.
If the designers of these cards needed 4gb, they would have included it in the first place.
As I understand it, if there is insufficient ram, the card has to do a bit more work, but all of that is factored into the benchmarks you have already seen.

I could be wrong.

I have two 2560 x 1600 monitors and a GTX680 with the default 2gb. I see no problems, and frame rates are great.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:28:27 PM

Go for 2 GB one. You'll save some money, and 4 GB is pretty much useless anyway.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 9:40:53 PM

2gb is plenty for a single card. You GPU will run out of juice before memory becomes an issue.

A pair of 670's are also fine with 2gb versions.

If, however, you plan on SLI'ing three or four 670's down the road, use the 4gb version.
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:37:52 PM

geofelt said:
I am not convinced about the value of extra vram. I suspect the benefits are mostly marketing.
If the designers of these cards needed 4gb, they would have included it in the first place.
As I understand it, if there is insufficient ram, the card has to do a bit more work, but all of that is factored into the benchmarks you have already seen.

I could be wrong.

I have two 2560 x 1600 monitors and a GTX680 with the default 2gb. I see no problems, and frame rates are great.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the advice everyone. I have my GTX 670 FTW on order now from newegg. :) 
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:44:12 PM

Best answer selected by Amrcnfirestorm.
m
l
!