I think my PSU has a problem, can you confirm it?

eVolved pOrcO

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hello everybody, i'm sorry for my english but i hope you'll understand it and you'll be able to help me.
My configuration is:
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Watt
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Asus P8P67 EVO Rev 3.0
Intel i7 2600k (no overclock)
AMD/ATI Sapphire 6970 2GB (no overclock)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB High Profile 1866mhz XMS
2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 3
Xonar D1 PCI
LG Flatron 22 Full HD
Windows 7

My problem is:
When i try to boot my pc i get a solid red VGA LED, 1 long beep + 3 short beeps and no video signal.
These signs show a problem with videocard, but i think the problem is about the Power Supply.
First time i had this problem i just unplugged/plugged the VGA and the PC worked fine for one whole day; then after shutting it down i had the same problem again. I've changed 6+2 pin cable and it worked again for few days. Then today i had the same error and nothing solved it.
I've tried moving VGA to the other PCI-E slot, i got the same error. Then i've decided to measure voltages coming from the PSU, and i noticed these values:
6 pin = 12V (correct)
+2 pin = no voltage

I wonder if the no voltage measured in the +2 connector is correct or if there is some problem. I did the same measure with both 6+2 cables i have and the result is the same.

Thanks for your replies, if you think the problem is about VGA and not PSU i ask mods to move this topic in the correct section.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Your right it is the video card, have a check it is seated right in the Pci-e slot.
Take it out if you need to make sure no wad of dust is stuck in the pci-e slot causing a problem. Btw the message can also relate to bad on board video memory of the card.
So I would think about doing an RMA of the card if it still has a warranty.

eVolved pOrcO

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for your reply ;-)
I've just discovered the additional pins of the 6+2-pin PCI-E connector are both ground, and not additional +12V cables as i initially thought, so i guess it's normal they have no voltage.
In this case it looks like a VGA problem. I'm still under warranty so i can ask for RMA, but firstly i want to be sure at 100% what the problem is, because i bought pc online and if i send the wrong device i'd just waste time and money.