Sign in with
Your question

Uses for Old Computers

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2012 1:40:55 AM

Hey all,

I had a lot of fun building me own rig, but I have a question that I don't think gets asked very often. What do you guys do with your old computers? I have an old Dell Dimension and I don't want to let it sit around gathering dust again. Please share your thoughts!

More about : computers

July 17, 2012 2:02:01 AM

Hello,

You could set up an old computer for a younger one so they don't destroy yours :) 

Make a linux proxy server for yourself.

You can give it away to a licensed charity for a nice little tax reduction.

Give it to a school's IT program so they could take it apart/rebuild it (or whatever they would do with it).

An old computer even makes a good word program/editor (libreoffice) and internet browser.

Go to a gun range and shoot it to smithereens.

Now, your only choice is what to do with it :) 
July 17, 2012 2:02:32 AM

i used mine as a backup but eventually took it to a place that took old computer's they can give them back to the public. you can try to seel it but depending on the age you will not get much for it
Related resources
July 17, 2012 2:12:00 AM

Forgot one - you could send it to a recycling facility for electronics if one exists in your area. You probably wouldn't get much for it that way though.
July 17, 2012 2:37:55 AM

I use my old laptop(s) for internet streaming radio attached to a receiver, and my old desktop as VPN and vpn over SSH server.
July 17, 2012 2:49:17 AM

sell it and make it no longer your problem
July 17, 2012 4:16:42 AM

use it as a Linux machine and experiment something other than windows, and if you damage it or screw something up it doesn't really matter seeing how its just a tinker toy
July 17, 2012 9:02:27 PM

Start a bonfire.
July 17, 2012 9:12:19 PM

...don't start a bondfire with computer components. There are harsh chemicals and other dangerous substances within/on the computer components.

Someone may have been joking...but it's a bad idea.
July 17, 2012 9:27:18 PM

May I place my own opinions here?

Hello, my name is dogman_1234. I have been a member in the THG community since October of 2011. Here, there are many persons of great character who will lovingly help you and your computer needs.

I have come here out of curiosity and noticed your post. I am glad to say that the THG Community is part of a scientific research program called Folding@Home:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=folding%20at%20h...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=folding%20at%20h...

Here, you can use your computers unused resources to aid researchers find cures for genetic abnormalities and diseases. Your time and power would be a great asset for our Folding team.

As of now, we are beginning to expand and others behind the scenes of the Forum are building a section for our humble team.

If you want to know anything about us, have a question, or thinking about joining, here is our link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Thanks for your time here at THG, and hope to see you folding.

:) 

dogman_1234

P.S. If you have a questions, I will be happy to address them to the best of my ability. Please PM me for any direct of complex questions.
!