Closed Solved

Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Problem..

Hi
Hoping for some help here please.. I have just built a new Gaming PC and I cant wait to get it all running.. although I am having a problem and think it is the graphics card.
System:

CPU: i5-3570K
RAM: 16GB Corsair
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7870 OC 2
PSU: NRXN 600w (80+)
Case: CM HAF 912

The problem I am having is that when I have power going to the GPU, I get no display output (HDMI) from either the iGPU or the new OC 7870.. if I remove power to the new GPU, then I can get display output from my Internal HDMI output..

Looking at the the Graphics setting in the BIOS, the default option for which GPU to use is on "Auto". I change this to iGPU, and then can have power to the 7870 and still get output from the iGPU... it is then seen in Device Manager in Windows and I can add the drivers.. although if I change the HDMI cable over to the new card (7870), I still see output until I reboot the system and then I get nothing from the new card.. Is there something wrong with the new card?

Is there a power issue? I had initially only 1 6Pin PCI-E power connector and the card fans were not spinning up until I had plugged in 2x 6Pin Power cables...

Looking forward to some help..

Do I need to modify something else? what is the problem..

Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte radeon 7870 problem
  1. I have been looking further into my Power Supply and it says the PCI-E connectors are for: 6 + 2P (8P) PCI-E 2.0.. this is obviously why I need to run x2 of these cables.. as the card is PCI-E 3.0

Could I get away with just running x1 connector with 8P...?
    Is this causing any issues?
  2. Best answer
    Is there an option in the bios to switch to check pcie for primary graphics? If so that's the one you want to select.
  3. lemlo said:
    Is there an option in the bios to switch to check pcie for primary graphics? If so that's the one you want to select.

I believe the saw this option in the BIOS for Primary Graphics.. I have not tried this one yet.. what happens if I put it on PCI-E and then still don't get display? Will I be able to get output from iGPU or do I need to reset BIOS then? Not sure how to go about that if i need too... USB BIOS backup I assume..
  4. You should have it enabled to pcie for primary. Make sure proper cables are connected and seated. Make sure the monitor is plugged into your card and not your igpu/ motherboard port. If all these are in order your gpu should work. If not I would say you have a defective card.
  5. paulhenshaw said:
    I have been looking further into my Power Supply and it says the PCI-E connectors are for: 6 + 2P (8P) PCI-E 2.0.. this is obviously why I need to run x2 of these cables.. as the card is PCI-E 3.0

Could I get away with just running x1 connector with 8P...?
    Is this causing any issues?

You need to have both 6 pins connected. If the psu doesn't supply 2 the gpu should have come with an adapter for 2x 4pin molex to 6 pin for your second 6 pin.
  6. Thanks lemlo
    I will try this when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.
    Paul
  7. paulhenshaw said:
    Thanks lemlo
    I will try this when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.
    Paul

Hey my pleasure. Also, the 6 +2 pin is for the most expensive boards that need 8 pins. It's fine to leave the spair 2 dangling or even tied back with a bread tie or something. Gotta have both 6 on their though. Good luck!
  8. Best answer selected by paulhenshaw.
  9. Thanks lemlo..
    All good and sorted now.
  10. Glad to hear it!
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics