Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Problem..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2012 11:01:08 PM

Hi
Hoping for some help here please.. I have just built a new Gaming PC and I cant wait to get it all running.. although I am having a problem and think it is the graphics card.
System:

CPU: i5-3570K
RAM: 16GB Corsair
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7870 OC 2
PSU: NRXN 600w (80+)
Case: CM HAF 912

The problem I am having is that when I have power going to the GPU, I get no display output (HDMI) from either the iGPU or the new OC 7870.. if I remove power to the new GPU, then I can get display output from my Internal HDMI output..

Looking at the the Graphics setting in the BIOS, the default option for which GPU to use is on "Auto". I change this to iGPU, and then can have power to the 7870 and still get output from the iGPU... it is then seen in Device Manager in Windows and I can add the drivers.. although if I change the HDMI cable over to the new card (7870), I still see output until I reboot the system and then I get nothing from the new card.. Is there something wrong with the new card?

Is there a power issue? I had initially only 1 6Pin PCI-E power connector and the card fans were not spinning up until I had plugged in 2x 6Pin Power cables...

Looking forward to some help..

Do I need to modify something else? what is the problem..

Thanks
May 24, 2012 12:38:29 AM

I have been looking further into my Power Supply and it says the PCI-E connectors are for: 6 + 2P (8P) PCI-E 2.0.. this is obviously why I need to run x2 of these cables.. as the card is PCI-E 3.0

Could I get away with just running x1 connector with 8P...?
Is this causing any issues?
Score

Best solution

May 24, 2012 1:16:28 AM

Is there an option in the bios to switch to check pcie for primary graphics? If so that's the one you want to select.
Related resources
May 24, 2012 1:26:18 AM

lemlo said:
Is there an option in the bios to switch to check pcie for primary graphics? If so that's the one you want to select.

I believe the saw this option in the BIOS for Primary Graphics.. I have not tried this one yet.. what happens if I put it on PCI-E and then still don't get display? Will I be able to get output from iGPU or do I need to reset BIOS then? Not sure how to go about that if i need too... USB BIOS backup I assume..
Score
May 24, 2012 1:30:48 AM

You should have it enabled to pcie for primary. Make sure proper cables are connected and seated. Make sure the monitor is plugged into your card and not your igpu/ motherboard port. If all these are in order your gpu should work. If not I would say you have a defective card.
Score
May 24, 2012 1:37:54 AM

paulhenshaw said:
I have been looking further into my Power Supply and it says the PCI-E connectors are for: 6 + 2P (8P) PCI-E 2.0.. this is obviously why I need to run x2 of these cables.. as the card is PCI-E 3.0

Could I get away with just running x1 connector with 8P...?
Is this causing any issues?

You need to have both 6 pins connected. If the psu doesn't supply 2 the gpu should have come with an adapter for 2x 4pin molex to 6 pin for your second 6 pin.
Score
May 24, 2012 3:38:01 AM

Thanks lemlo
I will try this when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.
Paul
Score
May 24, 2012 5:06:42 AM

paulhenshaw said:
Thanks lemlo
I will try this when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.
Paul

Hey my pleasure. Also, the 6 +2 pin is for the most expensive boards that need 8 pins. It's fine to leave the spair 2 dangling or even tied back with a bread tie or something. Gotta have both 6 on their though. Good luck!
Score
May 25, 2012 5:18:03 AM

Best answer selected by paulhenshaw.
Score
May 25, 2012 5:18:15 AM

Thanks lemlo..
All good and sorted now.
Score
May 25, 2012 6:05:41 AM

Glad to hear it!
Score
!