Rig dies when power is applied to GPU

refleximage

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Like plenty of people, I was trying to play diablo 3 on my underpowered onboard and it was lagging horribly. Decided to go with something a bit beefier. Before I give specs, I'm not really interested in hearing how I've bottlenecked my system or how this brand of whatever sucks. I'm just looking for some assistance.

The graphics card is a Geforce 550 GTX ti. Had to get a new PSU which ended up being a 600W Thermaltake tr2. Everything worked as expected until I tried to actually play Diablo 3. My system immediately shut down. Now, whenever I have the GPU plugged in, the system will not start. I have to unplug the GPU and the PSU and wait a few minutes. If I plug it in while the system is on, it shuts down the system immediately. The PSU says it's guaranteed to work with all NVIDA cards. I called the PSU tech support and they suggested I check the +12V rail, but the BIOS doesn't display it and I am not handy with a multimeter. I don't suspect it's the mobo because it works fine if the GPU isn't powered. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

refleximage

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Let's hope that Bestbuy will refund for it.

And with two rebates, it's a much better buy.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I've read some Corsair builder series bashing recently. I bought a 600w ocz modxstream pro for similar $: an extra 100 watts is nice, plus it's semi-modular, which saves clutter in your case. I can't recommend a 500w psu: maybe one day you want to add some drives, do some overclocking?