Torn between two PSUs.

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I am deciding between a NZXT HALE82 650W or a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W. They are the same price with rebates/offers. One has 50 more watts, while the other has twice as many 6 pin connectors. This would allow me to crossfire another 6950 when an upgrade is needed. Or would the cards be too dated by then? Basically, my decision is based off of whether or not the Sapphire 6950 would be too dated by the time most games would need a crossfire upgrade vs. just a single card.

Solution
I'd say go with the OCZ. I had the same plan when I built a very budget computer around the gts450. A year later, and I'm realizing that this card is all I'll ever need in terms of preformance. My computer hayday may have been when the 8800 series was considered high end, but the 6950 is still a powerful card, I don't think you'll need to add a second card for most future games. If you do end up needing a new card, there is molex to 6pin adapters out there for cheap. And ignore anyone who says OCZ is junk, just plain tune out anything they say. They're the types of people who have about enough real computer experience to play minesweeper.
This is my slightly biased 2 cents (I have the 600w version of the OCZ you're looking at) Feel...

allix24

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'd say go with the OCZ. I had the same plan when I built a very budget computer around the gts450. A year later, and I'm realizing that this card is all I'll ever need in terms of preformance. My computer hayday may have been when the 8800 series was considered high end, but the 6950 is still a powerful card, I don't think you'll need to add a second card for most future games. If you do end up needing a new card, there is molex to 6pin adapters out there for cheap. And ignore anyone who says OCZ is junk, just plain tune out anything they say. They're the types of people who have about enough real computer experience to play minesweeper.
This is my slightly biased 2 cents (I have the 600w version of the OCZ you're looking at) Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Solution
I would think about another approach for a power supply. If you do plan to xfire 2 of the 6950s I would invest now and get a power supply like this that will provide you with power for now and if you do add another card: It will cost you $20 more

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139025

This PSU has 65amps on the 12v rail which will give you great PSU

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thanks!

allix24

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Perhaps, it would be alot like unlocking the extra core on the AMD athlons. You may be successful, but I myself wouldn't attempt it. Are you not getting enough performance as it is?

allix24

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Sorry, basically, it may or may not work, it all depends on luck. You have no idea if the card itself can be flashed to a higher version. You could ruin the card, and that is why I would refrain from doing so.

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012

............ nothin to do here.

TRENDING THREADS