Possible to make a sub-$200 HTPC/Media Extender

mprez333

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Anywhere from tomorrow to Mid-August. Sooner is better.

Budget Range: $200 max (shipping not included)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming content from a primary HTPC, playing Netflix, and running XBMC

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Need a whole system.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference.

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: I will be making two of these systems to display on a 42" Panasonic Plasma (720p/1080i) and a 32" Vizio LCD (720p/1080i).

Additional Comments: It needs to be a small form factor that is relatively attractive (to please the wife), very quiet, and if I can get a media remote for it that would be greatly preferable.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm ditching DirecTV at the end of August and moving to OTA HD for my locals/major networks, recording that on my main HTPC/gaming rig, and distributing those recordings via home network to these two satellite PCs. I need to be able to access that content from my main HTPC and run it clearly, run Netflix for the little bit of cartoons my daughter watches and other shows, and stream programming across my network on XBMC for shows we watch on FX, USA, TNT, etc. with pretty clear quality. I know much of the quality is tied to my home network and I am addressing that, but these PCs need the capability once the data gets there. No need for a disc drive or any bells and whistles beyond a remote. Low power consumption and portability are bonuses.