Internet Sharing

GS8385

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello, i need to establish internet connection between my computer and laptop with patch card linked. i am having wireless net on laptop, now i like to access same from my desktop computer. Network may get disibled at laptop temporarily i like to access as when required

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
What Os are ye using? U should be able too use windows ICS. The following manual should explain that too you:

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

2) Proceed to click View network status and tasks in Control Panel window.

Windows 7 Internet connection Sharing (ICS) Host Computer Setup
As you know we can enable Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature on computer (host computer) in order to share Internet connection with other computers, and so I will explain how to do it here.
The benefit of this approach is no router is required to share Internet, but the drawback is this host computer needs to be on for other computers to access Internet.

Let’s start to enable Windows 7 Internet connection sharing feature on computer:

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

2) Proceed to click View network status and tasks in Control Panel window.

3) Network and Sharing Center will appear, click on Change adapter settings.

4) Here it will show the network adapters (wireless or wired) available on computers, and you should right click on the network adapter that has Internet connection and click Properties. In this case, my network adapter is connected to DSL modem, and I’ve another wireless adapter that I will connect to other computers with ad-hoc wireless connection later.

5) That network adapter’s properties window will appear, click on Sharing tab and then tick on Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection check box to enable Internet sharing.
6) Proceed to click on Networking tab, you should un-tick Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks check boxes. This approach would better secure the network and won’t accidentally expose your home network resources to Internet. Firewall is also highly encouraged to be enabled on ICS host computer. Click OK at last.
6) Proceed to click on Networking tab, you should un-tick Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks check boxes. This approach would better secure the network and won’t accidentally expose your home network resources to Internet. Firewall is also highly encouraged to be enabled on ICS host computer. Click OK at last.

8) After enabling Windows 7 Internet connection sharing feature, the network card connected to the home network (wired or wireless) would be assigned a static IP address 192.168.137.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0 (It would be that wireless adapter in this case). This ICS host will act as a DHCP server and assign other IP addresses in the 192.168.137.x/24 range to other client computers.

9) In order to access Internet, other client computers (Windows Vista, XP, 2000, etc) should configure TCP/IP on their local area connection to obtain an IP address automatically. Then those computers will be assigned IP address in the 192.168.137.x range and able to access Internet through this ICS host computer.

kunalgaurav18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
It does not work in my laptop but works in my friends laptop. After creating the network in my friends laptop windows asks whether to enable internet sharing or not but it never asks me to enable. What should I do?? please help!!!

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

you only need to enable ics on the laptop thats directly connected to the isp. this enables dhcp; your notebook will get a dhcp address from your friends notebook. Btw, i dont understand why you wanne use ics.