changing the user name in XP Home

March 31, 2005 7:17:02 PM

How can you change the user name in XP Home?

There is no Domain and changing it via Control Panel>User Accounts only
appears to change the display name not the actual login name

More about : changing user home

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:51:08 PM

The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old to new
account:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
You most log in to the new account at least once so the necessary files are
created before you attempt to copy data from the old account.
The old account can be safely deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel
once you are sure all is OK.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can you change the user name in XP Home?
>
> There is no Domain and changing it via Control Panel>User Accounts only
> appears to change the display name not the actual login name
April 1, 2005 6:33:53 AM

....and if you happen to have set any file system security explicitely for
the 'old' user account, you'll have to reapply these for the 'new' account,
if you choose to go the "create new account" route.....

george

> The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old to
> new account:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
> You most log in to the new account at least once so the necessary files
> are created before you attempt to copy data from the old account.
> The old account can be safely deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel
> once you are sure all is OK.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can you change the user name in XP Home?
>>
>> There is no Domain and changing it via Control Panel>User Accounts only
>> appears to change the display name not the actual login name

Related resources
April 1, 2005 6:36:03 AM

....oh yeah, and be absolutely sure the 'old' account did not have *ANY8 file
encrypted on the system.
If it had, be absolutely sure to decrypt those files *BEFORE* deleting the
'old' account, otherwise access to those files will be lost FOREVER, again
if you choose to go the: "create new account"-route.

george

> The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old to
> new account:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
> You most log in to the new account at least once so the necessary files
> are created before you attempt to copy data from the old account.
> The old account can be safely deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel
> once you are sure all is OK.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How can you change the user name in XP Home?
>>
>> There is no Domain and changing it via Control Panel>User Accounts only
>> appears to change the display name not the actual login name

April 1, 2005 6:36:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping for an easier solution, as this
appreared to be the only solution. Thanks for the reminder on the encrypted
files.

Cheers

"george" wrote:

> ....oh yeah, and be absolutely sure the 'old' account did not have *ANY8 file
> encrypted on the system.
> If it had, be absolutely sure to decrypt those files *BEFORE* deleting the
> 'old' account, otherwise access to those files will be lost FOREVER, again
> if you choose to go the: "create new account"-route.
>
> george
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > The easiest way is to create a new account and copy the data from old to
> > new account:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/
> > You most log in to the new account at least once so the necessary files
> > are created before you attempt to copy data from the old account.
> > The old account can be safely deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel
> > once you are sure all is OK.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> >

> > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> How can you change the user name in XP Home?
> >>
> >> There is no Domain and changing it via Control Panel>User Accounts only
> >> appears to change the display name not the actual login name

June 15, 2012 10:48:26 AM

Ian said:

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping for an easier solution, as this
appreared to be the only solution. Thanks for the reminder on the encrypted
files.

Cheers

All of this is non-sense. This task is SO easy. If you just want to change the user name, (not the display name), then right click on My Computer, click Manage, expand 'Local users and groups, right click the user and click rename. The path to their profile directory will not change, but you can change it manually and update it in the registry.

You can also do it in 'Control Userpasswords2' using the properties button.

I know this is an old thread, but though someone might stumble upon it and want the correct answer.

Joey
!