Best high end air cooler.

What would be the best air cooler for a cpu? Currently i'm thinking either the Zalman CNPS12X or the Noctua NH-D14.
6 answers Last reply
More about best high cooler
  1. TopHatMonkey said:
    What would be the best air cooler for a cpu? Currently i'm thinking either the Zalman CNPS12X or the Noctua NH-D14.

Forget to mention that it has to fit a LGA 2011 socket (I7-3960K). Thanks in advance.
  2. Both can support 2011, but for the Noctua you have to purchase a mounting bracket http://www.amazon.com/SecuFirm2-Mounting-Bracket-for-Heatsink/dp/B00632D5W4

The Zalman can support 2011 without buying the bracket.

I'll buy the Noctua, although it does not have the bracket you can buy it, and just check the reviews in newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018.

I've been reading reviews and some people say they have problems with the Zalman cooler, blocks the first PCI-E and sometimes has problems with the memory.
  3. The Noctua is good, but it might have clearance issues as well. Honestly, with coolers that big, it's impossible to not have clearance issues.

Try to find the schematics from the manufacturer to see the sizes.
    When I was considering the CNPS990x (or something like that), I found a .pdf that showed the height of the cooler off of the bracket, distance from bracket to the spreaders, etc.
  4. I think i'll go for the noctua. Thanks for the reply.
  5. TheProudNoob said:
    The Noctua is good, but it might have clearance issues as well. Honestly, with coolers that big, it's impossible to not have clearance issues.

Try to find the schematics from the manufacturer to see the sizes.
    When I was considering the CNPS990x (or something like that), I found a .pdf that showed the height of the cooler off of the bracket, distance from bracket to the spreaders, etc.

Im having trouble finding enough ram without heat spreaders so I think if they don't fit i'll have to remove them. Is ram the only thing I need to worry about or might it cover over things on the motherboard?
  6. I recommend Phanteks PH-TH14PE. It's better than the NH-D14 and looks better. It is available in different colors. What ram do you have and which case are you placing it in? I'm going to return to the topic in about 12 hours from now. When you got the info here I'll look up if that monster will fit :) I'm on my phone right now, that's why. But really, you should check out the Phanteks PH-TC14PE ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Zalman Cooling Product