Noob questions about fans and how to power them.

fezerlet

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I've googled so much and I've honestly tried to understand, so I'm sorry if this has been answered many times over!

I've only built two computers, which were small with only one fan. I'm building myself a better and more powerful gaming computer, and I got this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053
This is where the noobish really begins to shine. I have four fans needing powered. I checked my motherboard and I THINK it only has plug-ins for three. Here's the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

I read a comment about my case where someone commented, "plug your fans into the case fan controllers not your motherboards." I'd love to do this an all, but I have no idea how or what it means. I've read about splicing molex connectors with fan connectors, but some have said that's dangerous.

How do I power these fans, and possibly future ones? I'd like to be able to adjust speeds if I can.

Solution
looking at an image of it that motherboard has 4 fan headers

if you have no idea what "plug your fans into the case fan controllers not your motherboards." means

are you sure you should be building the pc?

that case has built in fan controller --you can connect fans to the controller or the motherboard or a combination of both

no splicing molex connectors with fan connectors, is needed

looking at an image of it that motherboard has 4 fan headers

if you have no idea what "plug your fans into the case fan controllers not your motherboards." means

are you sure you should be building the pc?

that case has built in fan controller --you can connect fans to the controller or the motherboard or a combination of both

no splicing molex connectors with fan connectors, is needed

Solution

fezerlet

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Thanks. This is why I came here to ask a question, because I've never built a PC with a fan controller so it's a somewhat foreign object to me. I understand what to do with it now.

no problem

just make sure to connect the cpu heatsink fan to the cpu fan header on the motherboard--unless your heatsink fan has a 2nd connector with one yellow wire on it

or it will think your cpu fan isnt spinning if you connect it to the fan controller

all other fans can be connected to the board or fan controller