HTPC/LINUX/ Multiples...

theestricknine

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Ok guys,

Im a noob to all this. (Obviously) (Sorry for my ignorance) I like playing with this stuff in my spare time, but don't have anyone to talk to about it. Current setup: download *things* via a netbook that i use strictly for that. I then back them up to an external hard drive every couple of weeks. I copy them to a flash drive and plug them directly into a "smart tv" to watch via the media player. Transferring these files is soooo slow. I have an older computer set up as a htpc, ( amd x2 6400 2.0ghz, 3gb ddr2 pc5300, 1 gb ddr3 gpu) Any suggestions to make things easier? Should I scratch the netbook and get another old system to do the downloads with? I had considered just modifying the cover on the bottom of the netbook to allow access to a cord, and instead of directly pIugging a hard drive in, running a sata to esata adapter out of it and running the hard drive externally. Then having the option of accessing via an pcie esata port on the htpc. I was also considering an icy dock bay in each computer and swapping the hdd back and forth to copy, but im not sure if the file system would plug and play?? I use linux mint for my downloads for obvious reasons, but my htpc runs windows 7 pro so I cant really just xfer via network.... as far as i know. I would really appreciate any help on the matter. :bounce: