New 3930K System Hangs After 2 Mins

TheUnit82

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hello,

I am new to this site so take it easy on me if I say something wrong. :) Also not quite sure where to post this issue so correct me if I am wrong.

I just finished building my latest system. I tried buying the best I could as to aviod the issues I had before with other builds and cheap problematic parts. Pretty much everything is brand new with the exception of the graphics card and the 500GB data drive)

Here is my build..

CM Hyper 212 Evo (My H100 wouldnt fit right with my case so its on the bench for now)
Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
G-Skill Ripjawz X 16GB Quad Channel ram 2133MHz
XFX 8800GT (Used and really a tide me over until I can get my hands on a 690)
120GB Corsair Force GT SSD
500GB WD Black HDD
Corsair 600T SE White Case
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Samsung DVD-RW

I am running a single 24 inch LG 1080P EW 234 Monitor for now while its twin waits for a beefy graphics card to power them both.

The issue I am having is that I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate onto the SSD and was having issues with it crashing after install and also not being detected properly so I had the Bios flashed to F10. After that it detected fine and Windows loaded perfectly. Now I am experiencing screen hangs after about 2 to 5 minutes hang time. It took about 5 tried just to be able to load all the drivers from the disk. It crashed once during install and after being prompted during start up I did a system repair and it booted fine but i am still experiencing those hangs and freezing. Bios is set to optimized and boot drive priority is set up and ram is clocked at only 1600 from the 2133 it is supposed to run.

I tried running with just one stick of ram, doing a fresh install, doing a fresh install with a full uninterrupted driver load, testing the memory and SSD on another machine, and removing the 500 GB drive.

I thought maybe the SSD is being flaky so I formatted it and installed it into my other rig and did a OS install and boom it worked fine.

I am starting to think maybe I am having an issue with the motherboard.

Any thoughts about what else I can do here or what might be the issue?

I have built 8 rigs in the last 2 years alone and have never had this type of issue so I am not to familiar with what else to do here.

A bad SSD was my first thought because your symptoms are indicative of an SSD failure. You may simply have a bad motherboard as initial reviews of that board indicated a few problems and some of the design decisions make me wonder (although the onboard audio is actually based on the Creative Labs 20K2 DSP which is used in the X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound cards).

TheUnit82

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I though the same as you about the SSD (I have had a flaky 60GB one before I RMAed twice) but the fact it loads and runs on my 980x rig throws that out the window. I am starting to think it may be the board. I have hear about issues with VR heating up and stuff like that but not much SSD issues that where the boards fault. Its flashed to the recommended Bios and also has the F7 one as well. I think I will try loading on to a standard hardrive and see what happens.

Load the latest firmware, if that's F10 then load F10. It took about 6-7 firmware revisions for my RIVE to be stable and there's still a few bugs with the add-in storage controller.

Also check to make sure that the SSD has the latest firmware as well. It may be just fine but it never hurts to be diligent about it.

I'm reasonably sure that it's a bad motherboard, it's been known to happen.

TheUnit82

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I did a update once again to the firmware on the SSD and bios to the lastest firmware.

Loaded everything and its all good.

Half an hour later.........same freezing issue and also now it wont even show the desktop. I am frustrated.

The 8800GT is a pretty old card, do you have anything more recent that you can test with?

TheUnit82

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Tried to install on a 250GB Sata 2 HDD and got "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware."

It was a clean disk and I used Diskpart to set it up.

I also tried using the SSD on another system again and its good. Used the harddrive and it was good.

Has to be the board.

I have the 8800Gt because I am waiting on a new 690 and dint want to spnd money on a temp card. I sold all my 580's to get this 690.

Its now due to arrive in 2 weeks or so.

What could be wrong on the board? I am using the Sata 3 ports whch are controlled by a Intel Controller. My other sata 2 ports are run by a marvell controller.

Should I try connecting the SSD to the Marvelled controlled ports instead to install? Should I try running on IDE instead of AHCI?

TheUnit82

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Problem fixed,

Seems it was the graphics driver. I formatted and reinstalled and when it rebooted I went into safe mode and disabled the graphics driver and boom it worked. the just upgraded the drivers and everything works.