Is This a Good $1000 Build?

Title says it all really,

CPU: i5-3570k ($260)

GPU: Radeon HD 7850 ($255)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA ($125)

RAM: 4x4Gb DDR3 G.Skill PC12800 1600MHz ($110)

PSU: Coolermaster GX 550W PSU ($90)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm 32Mb cache ($105)

Optical Drive: Samsung 22X SATA DVD-RW ($30)

Total: $975

Any suggestions on where/if to improve would be great though i don't want to be spending a whole lot more.

Ty in advance

PS Don't need OS, monitor, speakers or case
25 answers Last reply
More about good 1000 build
  1. I would go with the following changes;

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)

PSU : Seasonic SS-560KM 560w

Ram : 16 GB is a little isn't really necessary for the RAM. Only in computers that are ram hungry (normally around 1.5k builds with multiple monitors etc.)

I recommend;

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200

Reason I recommended that RAM is due to it's Low Profile. Meaning it's smaller than normal RAM. And because you went cheaper on the RAM that means you can fit in a better PSU for it's good quality that can last you more time. Compare the two CPUs and you will realize why I recommended the Sandy Bridge. And the HDD is just better.
  2. If you still plan on getting 16gb get two cheaper kits as 110 even for 16 gb is steep
    Also the PSU is not a great brand the one suggested above is much better but way more expensive.

Perhaps this might be a better option due to price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
  3. I figured going cheaper on the ram would free up some money to get a better PSU.
  4. Cheers, that's great. I will look into all those suggestions.
  5. Agree with the CPU change and will cut the ram to 8Gb (2x4gb) as I can always add more later, and the alternative hdd looks good.

Still a bit confused about PSU though. The seasonic seems pretty expensive, but I guess I could deal with that after cutting ram. And spentshells, isn't that PSU the same brand as the 1 I originally suggested? I also don't think I really need 600W, the wattage calculator I used said 350-400W peak.
  6. Not at all
    PSU: Coolermaster GX 550W PSU ($90) is what you suggested
    What I suggested is Corsair CX600 which is a better brand and better PSU 59.99 with MIR
  7. Yup, and if you're willing to make these changes and spend that much money, I highly suggest the PSU I recommended. It's a very good quality PSU. The wires also come in a cloth so they're not all over the place and the inside of your computer will look neater. (Not looking like a crap ton of ties everywhere.)
  8. Yeah sorry, my fault that I can't read.

Will probably go for the more expensive one since I'm saving that money from the ram. The fully modular cables are also handy.

Ty for help all of you.
  9. With the new price cut on the i5-3570k their is no reason to advice getting an i5-2500k anymore. You'd save 10$ to loose near 10% performance.

Go for the i5-3570k and yes get a bether PSU. Corsair,seasonic or antec.
  10. infumed said:
    Yup, and if you're willing to make these changes and spend that much money, I highly suggest the PSU I recommended. It's a very good quality PSU. The wires also come in a cloth so they're not all over the place and the inside of your computer will look neater. (Not looking like a crap ton of ties everywhere.)

As does the one I suggested offering more power at a much more affordable price.
  11. I disagree on the CPU venur, the GBF is higher on the CPU I suggested.

Also, Tankata, what website are you using? The price on your CPU is ridiculous to what it should cost.
  12. Never said it didn't spent :P. But, if you want quality, go with mine. If you want to go cheaper, I suggest getting the seasonic M12 II 520w, like I did.
  13. Unfortunately, the Seagate PSU doesn't seemed to be stocked on australia (where I live) and the other Seagate psu's are really expensive (175+). As such, I might go with the corsair cx600.

This is a 600W PSU. Do I really need that much or can I get the 500W corsair?

Otherwise, another alternative to the Seagate PSU listed above would be great.
  14. I suggest you go with the 600w psu. I wasn't aware you live in Australia. That's probably why the CPU cost more.
  15. infumed said:
    I disagree on the CPU venur, the GBF is higher on the CPU I suggested.

i5-2500k 220$
    i5-3570k 230$

benchmark.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/processors/intel-core-i5-3570k-1077183/review?artc_pg=2
    http://dualprocessormotherboard.blogspot.ca/2012/05/intel-i5-3570k-vs-2500k.html

the i5-2500k at -20$ then an i5-3570k was making sense for budget build. But not for a little 10$

Even tomshardware removed it from his BETS CPU for the money of july.
  16. The sites I'm using are techbuy.com.au and megabuy.com.au

EDIT: the CPU is probably $20 cheaper than I wrote at the top, sorry
  17. Yup I agree with Venur.
  18. Ty everyone.

In the end, decided to keep with 3570k, cut ram to 8Gb rather than 16, spent extra $10 on better HDD and found better PSU (corsair CX600-v2 600W) for the same price as the one that I had before.
  19. try this 600w modular OCZ PSU for 49.99
  20. If it were my money, I'd get 8GB of RAM and spend the remainder on one of these price-reduced SSDs. The hard drive, regardless of seagate, WD, or any other magnetic, will be a real bottleneck.
    Recommend OCZ Vertex 4 drive. Newegg has them on sale! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791
  21. Should I just go with that and take the reduced disk space, or could I get a small one to put the OS on and use a HDD for general storage?
  22. I wouldn't waste my money on an SSD.
  23. Hey when i built mine, i did the extreme 4 with i5 3570k, works great. But you can get the I5 3570k at microcenter for 190 and then get it with the any mb to get the mb for 50 off. So i was able to get eth 3570k+extreme 4 for only 295 (including tax)
  24. Also idk what you are doing with it but you could get 8gb of ram, that was plenty for me then upgrade in the future. And maybe get a better video car if you are gonna be gaming.
  25. Overall, went with:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k

GPU: Radeon HD 7850

Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4

RAM: 8Gb (2x4Gb) G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600MHz

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm 1Tb

Optical: Samsung 22x SATA DVD-RW

Ty Everyone for help
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product