Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

SOLVED Nvidia GeForce GTX 560: I need a PSU!!!

Last response: in Components
Share
November 28, 2012 12:31:33 AM

Hi Guys!
Ok, I need to upgrade my computer's graphics so that I can run UDK. I want to get the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, but my only problem is my PSU is not large enough. The Nvidia website says that I need a minimum of 450 W, but I've heard a whole bunch of different things from different people about what I need. When it comes to PSU's, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
So my question is this: What PSU's should I look at? I need one as cheap as possible that will run my computer and new graphics card. (right now, my computer has a 250 W psu) Is $50 or less unrealistic?

Here are my current computer parts. I already have these:
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz -
4 GB RAM - I will be buying more, probably bring it up to 8gb
Windows 7, 64-bit
Foxconn 2a92 mainboard

SOLVED:
I bought the ASUS GeForce GTX 560 (non TI) and the Antec 450W PSU
I kinda wish I would have bought the RoseWii 530W PSU, cause it has the 2 6pin connecters I need...but I'll learn from my mistakes!

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 12:38:35 AM

Here this should do absolutely fine and falls within $50. I have owned this unit and I can tell you this will last you a long time and it is a good quality power supply capable of delivering all 450 watts.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Share
Related resources
November 28, 2012 2:32:08 AM

Make sure you don't misunderstand what nvidia is saying though: the minimum of 450 W is for the whole system, not just the card. In other words, nvidia is not stating that the card itself needs 450 W, but that your system should be getting that much as a whole. Please don't be offended if this was already clear to you - there was a time (when I started building my own systems) when I thought that the specified Wattage was actually only for the cards....boy oh boy I was always installing overkill PSU's before I realized my error!

Both cards above are very good recommendations, but I would play it safe and go with e_X's suggestion, especially if you're in a financial position to order now (that is a good sale price for a Rosewill). Whatever you do, realize that brand really does matter when it comes to the PSUs, so get only those that have good ratings!
Score
0
a c 89 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2012 2:48:24 AM

GTX560 might need two PCIe 6pin plugs however.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp...

Cheapest PSU that I saw in my quick search to power this rig would be this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec Neo Eco for $59 counting shipping.

Any reason why you are getting the GTX560? If you go with the GTX650TI you'll lose a power plug needed for the card and should even get a bump in performance over the GTX560.

Edited for clarity.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 9:41:53 AM

Well 450 watts is more than enough for the current build because-

Amd Athlon II X4 630 - Around 95 watts
GTX 560 - 150 watts
Ram modules - About 10 watts each
DVD Drive - 15-30 watts (depending on model)

As you can see that leaves a 450 watt power supply with lots of headroom. However if you want to be able to support future upgrades an alternative would be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ Is 550 watts and modular and the almost same price as the VP 450 after Mail in rebate.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 10:01:01 AM

socialfox said:
Well 450 watts is more than enough for the current build because-

Amd Athlon II X4 630 - Around 95 watts
GTX 560 - 150 watts
Ram modules - About 10 watts each
DVD Drive - 15-30 watts (depending on model)

As you can see that leaves a 450 watt power supply with lots of headroom. However if you want to be able to support future upgrades an alternative would be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ Is 550 watts and modular and the almost same price as the VP 450 after Mail in rebate.

Well you are good just add 15W hdd and Gtx 560 can peak 221W and 183 on load.

That makes a good 372 W

So i highly reccomend XFX Pro Core Edition 550W
Made by seasonic and just 54$

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 10:31:50 AM

prototype18 said:
Well you are good just add 15W hdd and Gtx 560 can peak 221W and 183 on load.

That makes a good 372 W

So i highly reccomend XFX Pro Core Edition 550W
Made by seasonic and just 54$

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...


Ah, right forgot the hard drive :lol: 
Thanks!
Score
0
a c 89 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
November 28, 2012 10:54:34 AM

Still need a PSU with 2 six pin plugs. I haven't checked the links that were recently posted but the first two failed on this.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 10:55:36 AM

Xfx has 2x 6+2 an 2x 6pin
Score
0
November 28, 2012 11:01:25 AM

You can convert 2 x molex (not one) to a single PCIe 6-pin if you need to.
- Sometimes this is actually more stable then using a PSU with 2 x 6-pin PCIe pwr connections.


- SDB
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 11:03:37 AM

^ which was why I recommended the VP-450 because of the molex to PCI-E adapter, and also the OCZ 550w modular power supply has 2 6 pin pci-e connectors as well.
Score
0
November 28, 2012 11:45:32 PM

Ok, well you guys have been amazing helps! I normally don't get much help when it comes to forums, but maybe this forum is different!!!
I think I am leaning toward buying the GTX 560, and then the 530W RoseWii. I thought about the GTX 560Ti, but that would add $60ish to my purchases, between the extra power i'd need and the card itself, and I'm already running out of money as it is.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 11:52:03 PM

Glad you like this forum, anyways sure you don't want to re-consider the power supply. Currently the cheap (price wise) OCZ power supply I posted is sold out, however I believe there is the XFX 550 watt power supply available for $54.
Score
0
November 29, 2012 12:26:00 AM

socialfox said:
Glad you like this forum, anyways sure you don't want to re-consider the power supply. Currently the cheap (price wise) OCZ power supply I posted is sold out, however I believe there is the XFX 550 watt power supply available for $54.


hmm....I'll have to think about it. The problem is for me it would be $64, cause I can't do the mail in rebate cause of my life right now. But i will think about it. xfx is a really good brand.
Score
0
a c 89 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
November 29, 2012 2:50:12 AM

Sorry, but I still disagree. I would still be looking at a GTX650/TI, or 7770. By getting one of these GPUs you don't need to worry about getting a dual PCIe plug PSU. I also suggest never using the adapters. More stable? Really?
Score
0
November 29, 2012 3:40:58 AM

Seasonic S12 II. In my opinion its one of the best PSUs out there.
Score
0
December 5, 2012 7:54:06 PM

Ok, Geforce GTX 560 says that it has "Supplementary Power Connectors: Two 6-pin"
Does this mean I have to plug 2 six-pin PSU cables into it, or can I get away with one?
Score
0
December 5, 2012 8:16:40 PM

Better, Question:
If I get an adapter, can I change one of the other cables into a 6-pin PCI-E cable?
Score
0
a c 89 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
December 6, 2012 2:40:55 AM

Dear lord, you are still working on this???

I always suggest not using adapters. Just asking for trouble. If your PSU could handle the load they would have included them to begin with. This question has already been answered above, not typing out anything new.
Score
0
December 7, 2012 2:15:56 AM

Well, kinda! I ordered the parts last week, and then when I was looking at how to connect it, I discovered that I needed 2 pcie plugs...
So I already bought the ASUS Geforce GTX 560 and the Antec 450W, and the GPU came with a 4pin molex to 6pin PCI-E adapter, should I go ahead and use it? It will save alot of time, money, and hassle...
Score
0
a c 89 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 2:47:14 AM

Hmmm, I think someone here warned you about that. That the GTX560 needs two plugs and the first two PSUs only have one. To be honest, I'd send the PSU back and order one with enough plugs.
Score
0
December 7, 2012 11:16:52 AM

Yeah....you did.... :D  I just had no idea what you were talking about, lol. I'll have to make sure I look at that next time....there's always something to learn!
Ok, well I will think about what to do....Thanks for the help
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 12:07:01 PM

prototype18 said:
Well you are good just add 15W hdd and Gtx 560 can peak 221W and 183 on load.

That makes a good 372 W

So i highly reccomend XFX Pro Core Edition 550W
Made by seasonic and just 54$

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...


That's cobblers. The GTX560Ti's are 170w cards the non Ti's consume less and both types will run quite comfortably using molex to PCIe adapters for one of the power inputs.
Score
0
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 12:11:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's cobblers.

Apple ?
:whistle: 
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 12:19:08 PM

delluser1 said:
Apple ?
:whistle: 

Or sour grapes! :lol: 
Score
0
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 12:20:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Or sour grapes! :lol: 
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Score
0
December 7, 2012 1:55:02 PM

Ok, well I know that it's best to have two 6pins going directly from my PSU to my GPU, but what is the downside of having one 6pin going directly to the GPU, and then one with the "2molex to 6pin PCI-E" adapter? I mean, I have already bought and received this PSU and GPU...and I'm kinda scrapping the bottom with cash. I can return the PSU and get a different one, but that is going to take more time and money...

Why not just use an adapter? Will it break anything?

(Note: I am not planning on upgrading anything else in this computer...I just need it to get me through for 2 years)
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 2:00:25 PM

CG-DJ said:
Ok, well I know that it's best to have two 6pins going directly from my PSU to my GPU, but what is the downside of having one 6pin going directly to the GPU, and then one with the "2molex to 6pin PCI-E" adapter? I mean, I have already bought and received this PSU and GPU...and I'm kinda scrapping the bottom with cash. I can return the PSU and get a different one, but that is going to take more time and money...

Why not just use an adapter? Will it break anything?

(Note: I am not planning on upgrading anything else in this computer...I just need it to get me through for 2 years)

First off, what card did you end up getting?
Score
0
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 2:04:03 PM

CG-DJ said:
Ok, well I know that it's best to have two 6pins going directly from my PSU to my GPU, but what is the downside of having one 6pin going directly to the GPU, and then one with the "2molex to 6pin PCI-E" adapter? I mean, I have already bought and received this PSU and GPU...and I'm kinda scrapping the bottom with cash. I can return the PSU and get a different one, but that is going to take more time and money...

Why not just use an adapter? Will it break anything?

(Note: I am not planning on upgrading anything else in this computer...I just need it to get me through for 2 years)

Mousemonkey said:
will run quite comfortably using molex to PCIe adapters for one of the power inputs.

The Mouse runs a pair of Ti's this way, he already had a psu that is more than capable, no need to buy a new one.
Most of the senior members here will reccomend a psu with the proper amount of connector's if you are buying new, it makes for a cleaner installation , why buy something that's not equipped to handle what you want out of the box.
Score
0
December 7, 2012 2:12:02 PM

delluser1 said:
The Mouse runs a pair of Ti's this way, he already had a psu that is more than capable, no need to buy a new one.
Most of the senior members here will reccomend a psu with the proper amount of connector's if you are buying new, it makes for a cleaner installation , why buy something that's not equipped to handle what you want out of the box.


Ok, I'm sorry guys. I don't know if I'm tired or something, but I just totally read over what Mouse said.

Well, this is my first time opening my computer case and upgrading anything. I am very much so a software person, and barely know anything about hardware. So I didn't check to make sure it had the right cords coming out of the PSU. Next time I will be more careful!

I got a ASUS Geforce GTX 560 (non TI), and the Antec 450W PSU that is talked about above.

So the adapter should fry anything!
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 2:18:17 PM

CG-DJ said:
Ok, I'm sorry guys. I don't know if I'm tired or something, but I just totally read over what Mouse said.

Well, this is my first time opening my computer case and upgrading anything. I am very much so a software person, and barely know anything about hardware. So I didn't check to make sure it had the right cords coming out of the PSU. Next time I will be more careful!

I got a ASUS Geforce GTX 560 (non TI), and the Antec 450W PSU that is talked about above.

So the adapter should fry anything!

I reckon you'll be fine, the 560 non Ti is a 150w part so in theory it only needs one six pin PCIe connector anyway. The adapter will never be under enough load to become a problem.
Score
0
December 7, 2012 2:46:03 PM

Ok Thanks! Can't wait to install it!
Score
0
December 7, 2012 2:46:26 PM

Best answer selected by CG-DJ.
Score
0
December 7, 2012 2:48:12 PM

Thanks for the help everyone!
Score
0
!