Sign in with
Your question

Currently Have Built in Graphics How Should I Upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 7:38:51 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next few weeks. BUDGET RANGE: $250AUD
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:Gaming, Mostly playing WOW looking into Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Currently have no GPU and a 240V power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Current CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHZ, G31M-S2L Mother board, 4GB RAM,

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for something that will run games well for now no need for top of the line cards etc.

More about : built graphics upgrade

May 24, 2012 7:54:42 AM

what's ur resolution?? does ur mobo have 2.0 x 16 slot?

I'd recommend getting a hd 6870or 6850. 6870 is a Decent card can handle most games easily. But if u'll only play Diablo 3 i'd recommend a hd 6770/6670. Moreover what is the brand of ur psu.

Radeon hd 7750 isn't bad either . Can handle D3 i think but a 6850 is far better than hd 7750.

m
l
May 24, 2012 8:04:34 AM

UAhmed said:
I'd recommend getting a hd 6870or 6850. 6870 is a Decent card can handle most games easily. But if u'll only play Diablo 3 i'd recommend a hd 6770/6670. Moreover what is the brand of ur psu.

is there any particular brand of gpu you recommend quick search on amazon shows alot of different types. also i was recommend a 550 ti?? whats this like. As fir my PSU all i can see is Speed ATX 600W
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 9:16:04 AM

mquatroxx said:
also this is my mother board http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?p... im not to sure what it has.

Your motherboard will support any PCIe graphics cards today but you can go for UAhmed recommendation of the 6850. It is the best price/performance card for 1920x1080 resolution. You can pay more for the 6870 but the jump in performance is usually not worth the incremental price in $.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 9:23:40 AM

mquatroxx said:
is there any particular brand of gpu you recommend quick search on amazon shows alot of different types. also i was recommend a 550 ti??

The 550 Ti is fine too. But it is usually more expensive than the 6850 for less performance. But it depends on what is available in your region as well so the best thing to do is compare it with a 6850 that is available in your area.
Can you give the link for the store where you plan to buy the graphics card?

mquatroxx said:
As fir my PSU all i can see is Speed ATX 600W

If this is your PSU: http://www.btecanada.com/products/index.php/default/com...
then it does not look too good. It doesn't have the PCIe connector required by the 550 Ti or the 6850. In this case, you can get the best performing video card that doesn't need the PCIe connector: AMD 7750. It will still play good in 1920x1080 but you have to lower some details.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 9:29:21 AM

mquatroxx said:
okay thanks for the advice can you recommend any any brand ive been looking at two both different in original price but come out the same http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-DisplayPort-PCI-Expres...

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-E...

should i stick with gigabyte because it is my mobo?

Not necessarily. But the GIgabyte is good just for the fact that it has dual fans. It will operate cooler & quieter than the single fan version.
But there is still the matter of the PCIe connector. If you wish to take some risk with your PSU, you can use 4 PIN molex to PCIe converter. Some graphics cards get bundled with this in which case I would say it is safe to use for the 6850. Unfortunately, the amazon link does not tell if the Gigabyte 6850 includes the 4 PIN molex to PCIe converter in its bundle.
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:38:36 AM

is there anywhere i can buy the molex outright? and can you link me to a picture of what the connector needs to look like cos the link of the psu you sent me doesnt quite look the same.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 10:40:28 AM

mquatroxx said:
is there anywhere i can buy the molex outright? and can you link me to a picture of what the connector needs to look like cos the link of the psu you sent me doesnt quite look the same.

Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-4-pin-Molex-to-6-pin-Powe...
The black end is the PCIe connector. If your Power supply have 1 of that, then it means you do not need the adaptor.
m
l
May 24, 2012 10:45:04 AM

okay so i need to order one of them $2 isnt a problem haha so should i go with the gigabyte version of the gpu since it have the dual fan?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 10:50:08 AM

mquatroxx said:
okay so i need to order one of them $2 isnt a problem haha so should i go with the gigabyte version of the gpu since it have the dual fan?

Hahaha! Yes, I guess $2 is not a problem at all. Even if you discover the Gigabyte bundle or your PSU already have it, you could just store it for future use.

& Sure, go for the Gigabyte.
m
l
May 24, 2012 10:53:50 AM

thank you doe all your help! i really appreciate it :) 
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:00:39 PM

I too would go with GIGABYTE or ASUS, i personally like asus :D 

But this time go with GIGABYTE as at amazon the gigabyte one has higher memory clock :D 
m
l
!