Automatic updates...

Really generic Automatic Updates question for y'all...I'll be damned if I
can find a definite answer in a MS whitepaper or any technical doc...

Say you install XP Pro, totally clean, on a new machine. No service pack,
no hotfix, nothing. You don't change *any* of the default settings after a
clean installation. No group or domain policies to override anything.

Under those circumstances, *will* this machine eventually start downloading
updates or not? After a clean install, the radio button selected by default
in the System Properties|Automatic Updates tab is on "Download
automatically/notify me when ready to install".

However, I'll be damned if I can see anything new that gets downloaded, even
after leaving the machine running for a few hours...

PS -- I know that selecting "Turn off (...)" and then turning it back on
does eventually cause downloads to start happening--I've seen it happen;
after a while new files start getting created under C:\Program
Files\WindowsUpdate. But if I *don't* go to the Automatic Updates property
sheet, *ever*, it seems that nothing ever gets downloaded. Is this correct?
:-/

PPS - I'm trying to confirm this is the expected behavior for XP, without
any SP.

kelly

Have no clue as of now, as I can't even imagine knowing what a clean install
of XP would add up to today. Good luck!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Really generic Automatic Updates question for y'all...I'll be damned if I
> can find a definite answer in a MS whitepaper or any technical doc...
>
> Say you install XP Pro, totally clean, on a new machine. No service pack,
> no hotfix, nothing. You don't change *any* of the default settings after
> a clean installation. No group or domain policies to override anything.
>
> Under those circumstances, *will* this machine eventually start
> downloading updates or not? After a clean install, the radio button
> selected by default in the System Properties|Automatic Updates tab is on
> "Download automatically/notify me when ready to install".
>
> However, I'll be damned if I can see anything new that gets downloaded,
> even after leaving the machine running for a few hours...
>
> PS -- I know that selecting "Turn off (...)" and then turning it back on
> does eventually cause downloads to start happening--I've seen it happen;
> after a while new files start getting created under C:\Program
> Files\WindowsUpdate. But if I *don't* go to the Automatic Updates
> property sheet, *ever*, it seems that nothing ever gets downloaded. Is
> this correct? :-/
>
> PPS - I'm trying to confirm this is the expected behavior for XP, without
> any SP.

TRENDING THREADS