Solved

Very budget PC build

Hi I am planning on building a computer for my friend as a gift since he doesn't have a very good one of his own. My budget is 350$ and I have the Graphics Card (Nvidia branded GTS 450), the monitor, the keyboard, and the mouse. i was wondering if this build would be alright. Thanks in advanced!

LOGISYS Computer CS301BK Black solid 6.0mm SECC metal ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148047

ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135250

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136247

TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter High Gain IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates Support 64/128 bit WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, Wireless MAC Filtering
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

Please remember this a very budget PC.
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about very budget build
  1. Do you have a PSU?
  2. The computer case has a 480 watt one.
  3. moonlacedblood said:
    The computer case has a 480 watt one.


    I feared you'd use that PSU. That's not a good idea. It's one of the most important parts in your system and shouldn't be gimped out on. You can take the chance if you want but it be very fatal to your parts. even yourself in some cases where a bad PSU catches fire.
  4. Is this for gaming or just general use? Either way I would go with something like this:

    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397
    ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131793
    Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
    APEX SK-393-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154109
    TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244

    This is $354, would outperform the Propus on gaming and in general use.
  5. Will it be that big of a difference on the Quad core vs the Dual?
  6. Best answer
  7. I should be able to overclock that phenom to 4.2 easily right? and will that be faster than Intel's?
  8. moonlacedblood said:
    Will it be that big of a difference on the Quad core vs the Dual?


    Depends on what games your friend wants to play. There will be a big difference on skyrim since it's a CPU intensive game, BF3 as well.
  9. moonlacedblood said:
    I should be able to overclock that phenom to 4.2 easily right? and will that be faster than Intel's?


    You should, however you are PSU limited. You PSU might not suply enough juice. It's a trial and error thing. Let me find out real quick. You are also temperature bound, the stock cooler is whimpy.
  10. I just want my friend to be able to play the games with us the most graphics demanding game he will probably play right is diablo 3...
  11. an alternative:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($108.00 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Wintec One 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($25.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $330.43
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

    will do gaming at low at 1920x1080, medium at 1600x900, and high at 1280x720
  12. moonlacedblood said:
    I just want my friend to be able to play the games with us the most graphics demanding game he will probably play right is diablo 3...


    Diablo 3 is not a CPU intensive game so it wouldn't matter weather its dual or quad core cpu.
  13. ScrewySqrl said:
    an alternative:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($108.00 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Wintec One 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($25.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 380W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $330.43
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

    will do gaming at low at 1920x1080, medium at 1600x900, and high at 1280x720


    Bleh not the A8, he already has a GTS 450. The a8 is only popular because of it being an APU >_>...lol.
  14. I currently have the phenom in my set up and i trust it and for the price I think i will go that route.
  15. moonlacedblood said:
    I currently have the phenom in my set up and i trust it and for the price I think i will go that route.


    I too have the Phenom, but I have the 970 BE. I love this thing OCed to 4025MHz on a Hyper 212 EVO. I'm only getting 30C it fluctuates a few degrees up and down.
  16. :( I bought my computer from Best Buy 2 years ago so OC for me is impossible, I wanted to change out my board and OC but I decided I'll run this PC till it dies and build one in my years to come.
  17. Just order the parts you need and give your friend the old parts.
  18. Best answer selected by moonlacedblood.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Product