Sign in with
Your question

New Case - NZXT Phantom or CM Storm Trooper?

Last response: in Components
November 28, 2012 5:09:11 AM

Hi,

So, I am trying to weigh out which case to buy, I personally prefer the Phantom's style over the Trooper, and plus I like the built-in fan controller on the Phantom, not to mention can hide drives, though I have heard it appears to be weak in the sense of its construct material.

The Trooper is $20 AUD more then Phantom, and would like to know what people prefer, I have no intention of water cooling..

(Please don't recommend the HAF case, I cannot stand the sight of it :p )

Cheers :D 
November 28, 2012 5:14:24 AM

I can't say anything from experience because I haven't owned either, but the storm trooper seems to have more functionality, but I can't say if its worth another 20 bucks.

It depends on how many liquid funds you have, but I would go with the latter.
m
l
November 28, 2012 5:15:22 AM

True, I feel as if it's the right choice, but I am just trying to justify it :p 
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2012 5:21:39 AM

It looks like it can take more room for expansion. And the on board features don't hurt, either. As a man with a Frankenstein computer, I'd solidly get the trooper
m
l
November 28, 2012 5:25:16 AM

Indeed, I don't think the trooper uses a toolless design, does it?

So, the Phantom is $169, whereas the Trooper is $189, just so we have digits to go with it :p 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 6:16:54 AM

I'd spend a little bit more and go with the new Phantom 820. It's pretty much everything someone could want in a case, ever, except for a low price.
m
l
November 28, 2012 6:18:44 AM

Hehe, nah, sorry, have zero intention paying $280 for a case :p 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 10:58:14 AM

got the storm trooper

and would certainly recommend it

theres also the storm stryker white version if thats your thing
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:35:13 AM

Yeah, I know about the Stryker, but that's like $210, totally not worth it just for the fact it's white :p 

This indecision is killing me, hehe, so far, everyone recommends that Trooper, and I can see why, but I keep getting drawn to the Phantom but don't know why.. :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 11:42:49 AM

cases are a personal choice

comes down to functionality versus the look you like and the cost

at least you have already narrowed it down to 2 :) 
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:50:19 AM

The phantom build quality is good, some is made by plastic but it is still well build, i own one, no problems with that, and i still didnt see the trooper in flesh, but then i would still take the phantom any day
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:51:17 AM

Reason I am for the Phantom, Is the fact, It has Built-in Fan Controller, Tool-less Designed, Cover to hide Drivers,and I feel the Phantom has a more appropriate fan layout design, for air cooling anyway (maybe wrong, probably am lol)

Only reason for the Trooper, Is of course that look, even that it is quite large, and probably the top specifically (Button layout is quite nice) - And it looks very solid

But even though the Phantom support 2x 200mm top, it looks as if the second one is half covered by the plastic material (whatever it is :p ) - and perhaps block some airflow, and I guess it looks the same for the front fan, if someone can let me know about that, be very helpful

Also, how good are the NZXT stock fans, are they decent, I suspect there loud, I just dont want to waste more doe on replacing them all...
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
November 28, 2012 11:53:53 AM

+1 storm trooper
m
l
November 29, 2012 7:40:44 AM

Yeah, that's the one, after looking at the post on that site, I don't know about the Phantom, apparently, it only supports NZXT200mm fans, not 100% sure its true, but it seems very dodgy of NZXT if so
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 29, 2012 9:03:49 AM

looks very plastic compared to the trooper

and dont like the io ports

only seems to be 2 usb and 1 esata

and they are too close together--only a simple thing but on the trooper you can fit a fat flash drive in all 4 usb ports at the same time without having to unplug other usb stuff
m
l
November 29, 2012 9:06:39 AM

Yeah, I guess Im best off getting the Trooper :D 
m
l
!