Hardware needed for streaming hd-video over the internet

ahab72

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello,

I'm about to set up a site for streaming family videos and showing photos to my relatives over the Internet and I wonder what kind of hardware I need.

The site will only be open to registered users and I will have a maximum of ten users. The videos will be in hd-format, mp4 1920*1080, and the photos will be jpeg around 3 Mb each. I want to stream the videos, not download them.

My questions are;
1. Which are the constraining factors for HD-streaming (memory, cpu, graphics card?)?
2. What is the minimum internet speed I need?
3. What is the minimum cpu I need?
4. What is the minimum amount of memory I need?
5. What kind of graphics gard do I need?

I have an old bubba2-server with 256 Mb of Ram and a 333 MHz Power PC-processor. Will it suffice if I connect it to the internet with 100 Mbit and doesnt use the server for anything else?

All help is appreciated!

Solution
If all you are asking is the server, then the requirements are mostly the upload bandwidth. Most 10ps cable connections would suffice, but if you are trying to support 10 simultaneous users, not 10 total users, you need a little more hardware. Streaming video out from the server is about sending a file to one or more computers, it doesn't need to be played back on the server, so graphics cards and such low on the totem pole. Try your settup, its old, but it may almost cut it. The larger the files, and the most simultaneous users, the more ram, and faster drive you will need.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
If all you are asking is the server, then the requirements are mostly the upload bandwidth. Most 10ps cable connections would suffice, but if you are trying to support 10 simultaneous users, not 10 total users, you need a little more hardware. Streaming video out from the server is about sending a file to one or more computers, it doesn't need to be played back on the server, so graphics cards and such low on the totem pole. Try your settup, its old, but it may almost cut it. The larger the files, and the most simultaneous users, the more ram, and faster drive you will need.

Solution

ahab72

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I don't expect to have simultaneous users so I'll try my server, and as I interpret your answer; if it doesn't suffice then I need to look for something with more RAM.

Thank you for your time, and your answer.