First time builder looking for help

Hey guys, looking to
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: ASAP

Budget Range: $600-$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Solely used for gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No, plan to use my LG tv for a monitor.

Parts to Upgrade: Starting from scratch

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but i think i can get this cheap from work

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Parts Preferences: no preference

Overclocking: Maybe in the future,

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, for future upgrades

Additional Comments: This computer will be used for gaming only, I have a laptop that will be used for everything else. Just looking to be able to run all the current and upcoming games at high settings. I have a mouse and keyboard and will be hooking this up to my LG tv.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Sick of not being able to run anything on my laptop.
8 answers Last reply
More about first time builder help
  1. Is your LG TV 720p or 1080p as this would determine how much GPU horsepower you'd need ^^
  2. It's 1080p
  3. http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/cxvs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.21 @ DirectCanada)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Power Supply: Corsair 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $860.13 (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-19 13:42 EDT-0400)

Here's what I came up with so far. I know its a bit higher than my budget but I will be able to spend closer to the $800 mark. That being said saving money is always good, so hopefully someone can point out some cost savings.

Thanks
  4. anyone?
  5. You should upgrade your power supply especially if you are going to SLI/Crossfire in the future, 550w will not cut it at all. Also add Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus to cool your CPU, the stock heatsink/fan will not cut it
  6. ok, how big of a power supply do you think I'll need?

Any other options out there to save costs?
  7. http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

Use that to calculate your PSU wattage, I would go at least 750 but thats just my preference
  8. cool, thanks

Can anyone let me know if all my other components are good choices?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems