Sign in with
Your question

The LCD panel on my thinkpad T60p is broken

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 2:19:29 PM

Hello,

The LCD Panel on my Thinkpad T60p is broken, I want to use the external monitor until I can get this fixed.
I see the external monitor comming on only at boot time, after that it goes blank but i can see the mouse pointer.

More about : lcd panel thinkpad t60p broken

May 24, 2012 3:20:25 PM

If you hit FN + F7 (I think) twice it will cycle the mode to External mode only.

Also if you right click the background with your cursor, and go to the properties, you can select that it uses only the external display.
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2012 3:21:22 PM

Hi

I may be wrong but it sounds like the external display is now an extension of your desktop and so you would have to disable the T60p's broken display and set the external monitor as the primary display, you should be able to do this in the catalyst control centre. If you right click on the screen and choose catalyst control centre, then make sure you are in the "advanced" view then Click "Displays Manager" on the left side bar of the ATI Catalyst Control Center.
Locate the box labeled "Desktop and Display Setup." Click "Detect Displays" to display a large "1" or "2" on each display. The display on which the "1" appears is your main display. If you would like to change this, drag the icon of the display that you would set as your main display into the box labeled "Main."
Related resources
May 24, 2012 3:46:05 PM

Guys, thanks for these suggestions, but I don't see anything on the broken LCD panel. IT is gone with 20 odd cracks.
So, I cannot go to the display setup or anything. I don't see the right click.
Whatever I need to do has to be done at boot time because that is the only time the external monitor comes on.
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2012 3:50:26 PM

You said in your original post that you could see the mouse pointer, so can you not right click on the external monitor?
May 24, 2012 3:55:14 PM

ajay_falcon said:
Guys, thanks for these suggestions, but I don't see anything on the broken LCD panel. IT is gone with 20 odd cracks.
So, I cannot go to the display setup or anything. I don't see the right click.
Whatever I need to do has to be done at boot time because that is the only time the external monitor comes on.

The previous two posts do answer your question. windows is defaulting to the internal display. if your laptop came with a quick switch display option that would be your best bet just hit fn and the key associated with flipping the display from internal to external. or use the windows shortcut provided above.

the reason you see the monitor come on during boot is simple. all monitors plugged into a system during the boot process on most system will show the boot screen until windows takes over and shuts down all monitors but the ones currently configured.
May 24, 2012 4:10:03 PM

Rustyy117 said:
You said in your original post that you could see the mouse pointer, so can you not right click on the external monitor?

I see just the mouse pointer arrow the rest is blank/dark. I don't see the login screen or anything. no able to login either.
May 24, 2012 4:10:48 PM

press FN + F7 twice
May 25, 2012 8:24:03 AM

I found a temporary solution
1) Force shutdown (hold the power down until the machine powers off)
2) When you boot the next time windows shows you an option to go into the safe mode, choose 'safe mode with networking'.
3) This brings up everything on the external monitor.

I will have to do this until I get the LCD fixed.
!