Will my motherboard support this CPU?

Ryuketsu

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I keep getting mixed answers so i hope you guys here can help me out on this. I am currently using this motherboard..

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3817&dl=1#

and I want to upgrade to this CPU...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

I'm just wondering if my motherboard can take it. I know it is AM3+, but people are saying it stil lcan't handle it where other people say its fine. Please help guys -_- and thank you

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I would assume it will work since it is a AM3+ mobo. Usually all it requires is a BIOS update, however. The BIOS update seems to be pretty old. I don't know whether the Bulldozer BIOS update is applicable to the Piledriver models are too, I'd think so.

Have a look if there are newer Revision if there is one.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

There is muchhhh difference. Just got with another motherboard which supports the FX-8350

Overclock that to high 3.x GHz and that makes a good gaming CPU. Get an aftermarket cooler if you do not have one. I saw a drastic increase in fps with my daughters 955BE at 3.6GHz matched with HD7850.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

I'm glad that someone did ask your specs. Your current CPU is more than fine. Learn to OC, it took me about 5 minutes and believe me, it's worth it.

Theres nothing wrong with Phenom x4s, they're still pretty solid CPUs. I can tell you that your GPU is already bottlenecking your CPU.

I would upgrade the GPU and OC the 955 to around 3.8Ghz (with a 3rd party cooler ofcourse)

Trust me. Just wait for the Steamroller CPUs from AMD then you can upgrade. Not long now.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Also i have 520W power supply for now. That will be upgraded when i get the 670gtx however

That is good enough for now. If your idle temps are below 58-59C I reckon you could probably get it to 3.6ghz fine.

First thing to do is go to BIOS and increase the CPU multiplier, only a tiny step at a time though. Do not touch anything else. Once you have bumped up the multiplier from let's say 16x(3.2Ghz) to 16.5x(3.3Ghz). Log back into Windows and run prime 95 to stress test it for a while. If temps still don't reach 61-62C Go back and repeat. Keep going up until either the temp is met, or you need to up the voltage a bit. (You will know if you need to up the voltage a bit when you log onto windows and the computer crashes, be warned though. Increasing the voltage also increases the heat generated by your CPU causing higher temps)