Sign in with
Your question

Is it safe to increase the speed of graphics card fan ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 3:06:52 PM

I have a ASUS NVIDIA 550Ti 1 Gb... The card overheats while gaming so i was thinking if i should increase the speed of the fan using MSI Afterburner. Is it safe ? Any merits or demerits ?
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 3:09:06 PM

Yes its perfectly safe, its actually advisable in your case.
m
l
May 24, 2012 3:10:44 PM

whats new in my case ??
how much should i increase the fan speed ? should i keep the fan speed the same at all times ?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 3:25:45 PM

divJ said:
whats new in my case ??
how much should i increase the fan speed ? should i keep the fan speed the same at all times ?

eh? I never said anything was new... Just that its advisable to increase the fan speed if your GPU temps aren't satisfactory.

I'd personally create a fan curve in MSI Afterburner, so that the fan speed increases as the temp increases, so that when your not gaming your graphics card is nice and quiet.
m
l
May 24, 2012 3:30:40 PM

I would ask WHY it is overheating. The card should not overheat under normal use.

Is airflow bad in your computer case?

Are you overclocking the card, resulting in increased temps?

The high temps are a symptom of something. Increasign the fan speed will take care of the symptom. It is not fixing the actual problem.
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:10:07 PM

po1nted said:
I would ask WHY it is overheating. The card should not overheat under normal use.

Is airflow bad in your computer case?

Are you overclocking the card, resulting in increased temps?

The high temps are a symptom of something. Increasign the fan speed will take care of the symptom. It is not fixing the actual problem.

IS gaming, normal use ?
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:10:35 PM

Rustyy117 said:
eh? I never said anything was new... Just that its advisable to increase the fan speed if your GPU temps aren't satisfactory.

I'd personally create a fan curve in MSI Afterburner, so that the fan speed increases as the temp increases, so that when your not gaming your graphics card is nice and quiet.

how do i get the best fan curve for me ?
m
l
!