Can't get to post on new build! help!

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
just got my CPU today and popped it in to test my new 3770K build. turned it on, no beeps. 10 seconds after power on it turns off. nothing on my display. took out the RAM and got 3 beeps. could the RAM be DOA? here is my build:

PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182238

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644&Tpk=MSI%20Z77A%20GD55

RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

CPU cooler: Hyper 212+ (everyone knows what that is, you don't need a link)

CPU: Intel i7 3770k. (same thing)

what could possibly be wrong here? i'm sort of in a panic. could the CPU cooler not be on properly? RAM DOA? maybe i somehow shocked my motherboard? *sigh* this is frustrating. any help or suggestions would be great.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
yes, i made sure they were in all the way because i noticed that they sometimes have trouble clipping onto tho power sockets. if the CPU power isn't in all the way my build only stays on for less than a second and repeats. power is not the problem.

i just noticed that my RAM isn't supported. i was going to get the G45 motherboard but the GD55 was on sale and had free shipping making it the same price at the G45. the G45 supported corsair vengeance RAM, so i just assumed that it's big brother would. i think that is the problem. i don't have any DDR3 RAM laying around so i can't be sure :/

Okay, Unless your RAM bad it should work. I have that mobo and use that same RAM. Have you tried to breadboard your build, meaning testing it out of the case with just cpu, cooler, ram, powersupply and gpu installed to get a post? You can also test with just 1 stick of ram installed. Let us know

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
i have done that because that is all i have. i have yet to buy my HDD, SSD, or my GPU. i was just going to test it using my old 2.5" scorpio blue laptop HDD to install the new drivers, some benchmarking programs and games to test it, and then get all my personal programs and stuff i have on my laptop so i can transfer them to my SSD and HDD when i get them. but you have the exact same motherboard, and you have the exact same RAM? do you still have the exact link of the RAM you purchased or the model number? because there are different models of the blue vengeance RAM, and it's either mine is incompatible and your version is, or mine is DOA. maybe the motherboard is DOA???? *sigh* i'm going to have to get a friend to let me test it on their computer. would a dead motherboard cause this problem too? would it cause it to power on for 10 seconds and repeat? i don't think so because it knows there is no RAM installed when i take it out, so it is registering errors. i has to be something with the RAM.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Ok, first of all, make sure the ram is in the right slots. When running dual channel on a board that supports quad, you have to put the Ram in Slots 1 and 3.
Also, is your board POSTing? Are all the fans starting? plug in a monitor and see if you get the motherboard company logo (which shows that it has POSTed).

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
avenseth: read the 4 first words of my reply again :lol:

blade of grass: you should read my question and title again. :lol: damn, 2 people not reading today! (i'm just kidding please don't take offense to that) and yes i have a dual channel mobo with 4 slots and the manual says to install them in 2 and 4, not 1 and 3. i even tried it in 1 and 3 just incase. still nothing. and like i said, read the title and question again. xD "Can't get to post on new build! help!" and "nothing on my display"