Is a sound card worth it?

jimmy_dog

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I'm building my computer, just using the integrated sound card. But how much of a difference will a sound card make? I don't plan on using surround sound ATM, but may use it in the future. If a sound card is worth it, which is the best one for under $50 ($50 is the max i could spend, and I would like one under 30)

Solution
Unless you're running a surround sound system that costs more than $150 bucks.. No its not, and even then the usefulness is questionable. Even cheaper motherboards these days have pretty high quality support for surround sound.
Unless you're running a surround sound system that costs more than $150 bucks.. No its not, and even then the usefulness is questionable. Even cheaper motherboards these days have pretty high quality support for surround sound.

Solution

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
The integrated sound on most mobos' are very good now and unless you're an audiophile or prepared to spend 2-4 times your budget on a sound card I wouldn't bother. I stopped using add-on soundcards 8 years ago and have never regretted the decision. Just my opinion though and audiophiles would probably disagree with me.