Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on building a video editing computer

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2012 8:16:08 PM

Hey I keep seeing people post that they have an over 1k budget to build an editing computer and nobody seems to build them for less. I would like to build a pretty good editing computer for under $900 including OS but don't know if it's possible to build a decent editing machine for that much. Any advice is appreciated. I don't care if it is intel or whatever i don't know a ton about i3 vs i5 vs i7. is i7 the only CPU that would do good for editing? do i not need a good video card for editing? could i just us one of the integrated video cards from i5 or i3? do i need very much memory if im not gonna be doing a ton of multitasking but just a little?

Approximate Purchase Date: next couple months

Budget Range: 600-900?

System Usage from Most to Least Important: video editing surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: no

Do you need to buy OS: Yes and preferably windows since i know nothing about other ones

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: So far ive only used newegg but i don't care which i use.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - pleasant hill, CA. US.

Parts Preferences: it seems intel is the best and thats what ive been looking at but i don't really care

Overclocking: maybe? if its necessary for video editing

SLI or Crossfire: maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: idk probably only a single monitor and HD

Additional Comments: Is there any certain setup that is really popular that i could just copy? or are there any prebuilt machines that would be cheaper than building

And Most Importantly, Why Are You building: for editing because my computer right now is an old emachines that is a piece of crap

Best solution

July 17, 2012 10:40:22 PM
July 18, 2012 12:24:54 AM

ok ummm no graphics card there so may i suggest upping to a 3570k processor as it has intel hd 4000 graphics over the 2500 of the 3550 an is like 20 bux difference
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 12:57:37 AM

thanks for the help. and Yeah skaggy i would like the 3570k because of integrated graphics card if that is all i would need for video editing. also would i need 16 gb ram or do you think 8gb would be just as good cause i saw G.skill ram for about half the price? also would a big computer case like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
do just as well? what would the difference be? just quieter?

and again thanks to both of you helps alot
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:01:40 AM

oh and one more question would that 400w power supply be enough for everything for sure?
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:14:17 AM

photoshop can run on intel hd graphics... not sure how quick it would be but it works lol

400w is fine for that but if u add to it later like a graphics card itll be a struggle (add a graphics card later lower end gtx 600 series due out in august so go at least 520w)

as for cases i went fractal r3 as its soundproofed, i hate flashy lights, they are personal choices really

16 gb is recommended for heavy photo editing an what not... i threw 16gb in mine cos its a cheap upgrade an i like converting videos to anaglyph for drunken parties (red/blue glasses) lol
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:32:40 AM

What video editing software will you be using?
m
l
July 18, 2012 4:49:46 AM

400W will easily cover any graphics card you are likely to use, and you really won't need much if anything. You MIGHT want a discrete card at some point for the computational power, but not for graphics.

You probably could get away with 8GB of RAM, but why not get 16GB up front? if you ever need more you'll have the two slots open so you won't have to replace what you have already.
m
l
July 18, 2012 7:16:51 AM

Oh okay thanks I will want to get probably a 520w then just in case i do eventually get a graphics card. And still not sure whether ill get 16 or 8 gb ram but i guess since its not crazy expensive ill get 16 probably. I most likely will be using either sony vegas or adobe after effects
m
l
July 19, 2012 8:44:02 PM

Best answer selected by johnsbadd.
m
l
!