can't open control panel

April 2, 2005 2:59:02 AM

When I try to open it through the start menu, it tells me: "This file does
not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
association in the Folder Options control panel."
The last part is a little ironic, since I can't open the control panel :\
I did try the "regsvr32 /i shell32" but it did not help. I'm very grateful
for any response,
thanks
Malin

More about : open control panel

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:43:02 AM

I just wanted to add, that this happens with some other folders aldo, since
this is related to some kind of association error that I most likely brought
upon myself.:\

"Malin" wrote:

> When I try to open it through the start menu, it tells me: "This file does
> not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
> association in the Folder Options control panel."
> The last part is a little ironic, since I can't open the control panel :\
> I did try the "regsvr32 /i shell32" but it did not help. I'm very grateful
> for any response,
> thanks
> Malin
April 2, 2005 9:42:05 AM

Hi Malin,

Without knowing more: Start here:

EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Malin" <Malin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to open it through the start menu, it tells me: "This file does
> not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create
> an
> association in the Folder Options control panel."
> The last part is a little ironic, since I can't open the control panel :\
> I did try the "regsvr32 /i shell32" but it did not help. I'm very grateful
> for any response,
> thanks
> Malin
April 2, 2005 10:12:09 AM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:43:02 -0800, Malin wrote:

> I just wanted to add, that this happens with some other folders aldo, since
> this is related to some kind of association error that I most likely brought
> upon myself.:\

MVP Doug Knox has some scripts at his site that can be used to re-establish
the default file associations. They might help you out with these problems
that you're having:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:53:02 PM

ok, that helped, it was the folder reg fix that did it. Thanks a million!

Malin

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:43:02 -0800, Malin wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to add, that this happens with some other folders aldo, since
> > this is related to some kind of association error that I most likely brought
> > upon myself.:\
> >

> MVP Doug Knox has some scripts at his site that can be used to re-establish
> the default file associations. They might help you out with these problems
> that you're having:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> --
> Sharon F