Sign in with
Your question

I7 860 bottleneck?

Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2012 2:09:18 PM

Hey guys,

So I recently just upgraded to SLI GTX 580's (x2) for my monsterous gaming rig. Currently, I am running a Yamakasi 27" monitor at a resolution of 1440p and I notice in games like world of warcraft especially, my FPS drops to 40FPS for some crazy reason. There is NO way that sli gtx 580s cant run WoW on max settings at 60fps. I suspected that my CPU, the i7 860 @ 2.8ghz stock could be the bottleneck in this situation. What do you guys think? I OCed it to 3.4ghz and I couldnt see any performance increase... Could it be that this CPU is just getting too old?

Thanks!

More about : 860 bottleneck

November 28, 2012 2:49:24 PM

You cpu is still decent for gaming. Check you syste temps. Maybe so.ething is runnig hot and affect the performance. Or maybe you psu cant hanlde you gpus? Post your system Specs s ;-)
m
l
November 28, 2012 2:56:43 PM

Thanks for the response :)  Temps on CPU dont go over 60C and and my GPUs are both fine with heat as well. I am running 8GB of ram and my PSU is a corsair TX850 v2 lol I shouldnt be having any problems with power consumption :( 
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2012 3:16:03 PM

Maybe driver issue?? Did you try to reinstall it?? Can you check the gpus usage whilw you are gaming??
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
November 28, 2012 3:23:09 PM

I have the Intel® Core™ i7-860 on my home system and it still works great for me I wouldn't advise to upgrade it yet. I have single GTX 560 and I am running swtor on high setting so I would expect that it is another issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 3:27:58 PM

Are you getting these lower FPS when a whole lot of people/mob are around you? If so it is most likely your CPU and even OCing it won't show much of a difference... Its been awhile sense i played WoW but in most MMOs its near impossible to keep 60 fps at all times no matter what your CPU is when you have hundreds of people close by.

I suspect it is your CPU lowering your FPS but even if you do upgrade and overclock do not expect to see a huge improvement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 3:28:21 PM

Lonemarine117 said:
Hey guys,

So I recently just upgraded to SLI GTX 580's (x2) for my monsterous gaming rig. Currently, I am running a Yamakasi 27" monitor at a resolution of 1440p and I notice in games like world of warcraft especially, my FPS drops to 40FPS for some crazy reason. There is NO way that sli gtx 580s cant run WoW on max settings at 60fps. I suspected that my CPU, the i7 860 @ 2.8ghz stock could be the bottleneck in this situation. What do you guys think? I OCed it to 3.4ghz and I couldnt see any performance increase... Could it be that this CPU is just getting too old?

Thanks!

Do you play in Windowed mode? Do you have the latest drivers from nvidia.com? Are you running DX11 mode in WoW? Are you using 64 bit WoW Client?

What are your GPU temps? Run GPU-Z and make sure they are good and that their load is correct. Also open task manager and check CPU usage, 100% is a problem.

Make sure your in game resolution and screen resolution are the same. (Unlikely but people do forget to set them the same.)

Also check your addons. Some can use too much memory and can slow down WoW. If there was a recent patch, outdated addons can have a severe negative impact.

If nothing else helps, try disabling SLI and see if 1 580 serves you 60+ fps. Also keep in mind that in raids/battlegrounds or major cities FPS will drop as the game loads hundreds (possibly thousands) of characters.
m
l
November 28, 2012 3:28:32 PM

WoW performance depends heavily on the cpu and hardrive for loading reasons. It is normal for even a high end machine to experience fps drops in cities and areas with lots of people and activity. Try lowering the shadows to medium if they are on high or ultra and possibly lowering draw distance.

You could gain some fps by upgrading to an ivy bridge or putting WoW on an SSD if you don't have one already, but it wouldn't be worth the money IMO and you would still experience the same fps drops, just to a slightly lesser degree.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 3:32:00 PM

i7 860 is still a great choice - i had an 870 myself until recently & was always very snappy with games, i was disappointed when i had to sell it due to moving. There's potential for a higher overclock if you feel you need it tho, most lynnfields will push 3.8ghz+ with decent cooling. at that speed i can't foresee any bottlenecking occuring. Good luck & hope your issue gets resolved promptly :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 3:36:02 PM

jpoos said:
i7 860 is still a great choice - i had an 870 myself until recently & was always very snappy with games, i was disappointed when i had to sell it due to moving. There's potential for a higher overclock if you feel you need it tho, most lynnfields will push 3.8ghz+ with decent cooling. at that speed i can't foresee any bottlenecking occuring. Good luck & hope your issue gets resolved promptly :) 

I have the system from my Sig at 1080p. i7 950 1gb GTX 460 and hardly dip below 60 fps unless in a 25 man or in a major city during peak hours.

As I said earlier, running in windowed mode will kill your fps and cause SLI to not work. Also dial down shadows a tick or 2 and just double check your settings.
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:47:12 PM

I currently run the game in full screen, DX11, with Vsync(A must have when I'm in sli for some reason or else I get 70+fps with chop) and max settings and a single card does about the same performance (surprisingly) as the game running in SLI. The thing is, As good as the i7 860 still is- I dont know if its putting extra strain on it because of such that high resolution(1440p). Its not even populated areas that does it though is what surprises me. Ill just be out questing and suddenly bam! from 60 to 40fps. I have played a ton with the drivers... Legacy, Current. AND Beta drivers all show no performance changes.

I appreciate everyone's responses :) 
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:51:12 PM

yarmock said:
Do you play in Windowed mode? Do you have the latest drivers from nvidia.com? Are you running DX11 mode in WoW? Are you using 64 bit WoW Client?

What are your GPU temps? Run GPU-Z and make sure they are good and that their load is correct. Also open task manager and check CPU usage, 100% is a problem.

Make sure your in game resolution and screen resolution are the same. (Unlikely but people do forget to set them the same.)

Also check your addons. Some can use too much memory and can slow down WoW. If there was a recent patch, outdated addons can have a severe negative impact.

If nothing else helps, try disabling SLI and see if 1 580 serves you 60+ fps. Also keep in mind that in raids/battlegrounds or major cities FPS will drop as the game loads hundreds (possibly thousands) of characters.

Everything is fine in the temperatures and my resolution is the same. Addons arent the issue but I am running the default client, will 64-bit clients make a difference?
m
l
!