What is the best o.s. for gaming?

G

I'm in a big dilemma... I have a new computer but i can't make my mind on wich o.s. to install. I have the choice betwen 98, ME, 2000 Pro. Wich one is better? I would like to go with 2000 because my server is running 2000 advace server but i'm afraid of the frame rate... Thanks for you advice!

My system:

Athlon 4 1.33G oc @ 1.55G
512M. SDRAM 133 @ 141 Micron CAS 2
MSI K7T Turbo
ATI Radeon 64M. DDR
SoundBlaster Live!
2 X 13G HD @ 54000 RPM
Creative CD-ROM 52X

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
My advice: Go with 2k. I have been running a 2k pro gaming comp since April of 2000.

Nearly all compatibility issues have been ironed out by now. Moreover, performance (in my experience, at least) is slightly better under 2k.

My system:
Ep0x 8K7A+ mobo
AMD Athlon T-Bird @ 1.4 ghz
Gainward GF3
512 mb Kingston DDR RAM
Philips Seismic Edge sound card.

My games (that I play most frequently)
Counter-Strike
Max Payne
Starcraft

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dual (or Triple) boot.

98/Me/2k.

Me may work on your setup better than 98, but you'll likely get a framerate drop. 2k doesn't like REALLY old games, but does well on the newer ones. Some games will play under win2k until you install sp1 or sp2.......

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
a triple boot would eat up a lot of space. If you game you want to do full installs and that can add up pretty quick. I haven't had any problems with games and win2k and I'm running some old games as well.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

G

I'd recommend dual booting with win98 and Win2k. ME is a bit slower and really doesn't have any gains over 98( 98se that is). This is the setup I use. I play all my games except Tribes (version 1) under 2k. Tribes just doesn't work under 2k (not that I play it much). Occassionally I like to load on older games (or new, poorly written games) and I just have to use 98se for compatibilities sake.

SlackJaw

G

win2k is where it's at... I have been running it as my primary OS for games and everyday usage since sept '99 (back in beta) and loved every minute of it... 2k is MS best work by far... all of my hardware has native support even my onboard sound... i can install 2k, run sp2 and everything works... end of story

www.stoleyourdomain.com $12 a year domain registration! whoo! go SYD!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's supposed to be very good. It emulates the 9x/ME kernel, so there shouldn't be the compatability problems that W2k has had.

Of course, I haven't really had any problems with games and W2k, so I might not be the best person to give that answer :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Dago

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I had all kinds of problems with Win2k though I blame it on Abit. The DMA drivers for my BE-6 board wouldnt work worth a damn

--Wassamatta you?--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I hav ejust one problem w/ Win2k and it's that it's D3D support apparently isn't as good as that of Win98SE. Also under Win2K Deus Ex runs really wierd when in OGL mode. Any patches for that?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

G

I am using the full version of XP and it work really well. No compat problems at all. My pc now haven't crashed for the last 30 days. You would expect a tiny performance drop, but XP comes with Dx 8.1. I had a 40 point drop for 3d marks 2001

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
but linux isnt too good for games, not too user friendly either in my opinion- not for the faint hearted.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers