Chipset Software Bypassing

G

Is there a way to bypass Windows default chipset devices?
Explanation:
Under Windows 2000 and/or XP Professional, if your motherboard's chipset is already supported by it, you can't upgrade it (like my ASUS Black Pearl board) I can't put in any newer chipset drivers because the Intel installer states that my 815EP is already supported and doesn't need a newer version. Even at work since nearly all the computers that I work on are chipsets based on Intel 440BX and a few Intel 810E chipset and running under Win2k Pro. Now I know that the current drivers under Win2k are not as updated as the 3.20 Intel chipset drivers, even though if looking through the driver security cabs, there really isn't any support, (They seem to only support the 800 series), but for my home computer, I would like to be able to update them, when newer versions come out...are there any kind of command line switches that I have to place in front of the setup.exe file in the chipset software to force installation?

Thanks for your time! ^_^

Mario

"There are no problems....only solutions!"
Kevin Flynn - Walt Disney's Tron

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Under Windows 2000 and/or XP Professional, if your motherboard's chipset is already supported by it, you can't upgrade it"

I disagree, friend. I've successfully updated 440BX, 815, and 850 chipset drivers in Win2K.

Have you tried installing the chipset drivers manually, instead of using the self-extracting launcher built into the driver files?

Create a folder, right-click and drag the installation file to that folder. Choose to extract the files from the right-click menu. Then update the drivers by browsing to that folder. The extracted files will create sub-directories, and you can choose your operating system version from one of those directories.

Note: Although you may read on the Intel site that the Intel Application Accelerator replaces the ATA Storage Driver, the Application Accelerator may refuse to install without first detecting the Storage Driver already present on the system. Therefore, install in this sequence for the best results:

1.) Chipset Drivers
2.) Ultra ATA Storage Driver
3.) Application Accelerator

<A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/driver.htm" target="_new">Intel Chipset Drivers and Utilities</A>

Note 2: If you wish to know the Command Line Parameters & Flags for manually extracting the files, go <A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/4301/inf_utility/readme.txt" target="_new">here</A>. And if necessary, install the drivers in Safe Mode.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get stuck ... I'll be happy to work with you and find a solution.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

G

Oh no, Sir...I wasn't saying that it was impossible, I was just wondering on how to manually do it, since the installer gives out that message. But thank you for the information, and directing me to the places as well....Thank you very much!

Mario

"There are no problems....only solutions!"
Kevin Flynn - Walt Disney's Tron

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are very welcome. I'm always glad to lend a hand!

Please come back and post again if you need any more information, or run into a problem. I'll respond as soon as possible. Troubleshooting is the "name of the game" around here. :wink:

See ya ...

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>