Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my setup be able to handle an Ati 7970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 8:14:49 PM

So recently, I've been thinking about selling off my 6870 (Which is still working out for me) and replacing it with a 7970. The decision really sparked up after I realized that BF3 and some other games were completely destroying my card when it came to AA (which I kinda like to have on, cuz my eyes are weird). Could just be the ATI drivers, but nonetheless, I decided to just go with a single 7970 3GB Black Edition from XFX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure if my current setup can handle it. Heres my specs:
AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black Edition CPU @3.4 GHZ
8GB Ripjaw G-skill RAM
500 GB WD HDD (3.0 GB/s Black)
ASUS M4A87TD EVO Motherboard
Corsair 650 Watt 12 Volt Power Supply

If there's anything I need to change or anything i haven't mentioned, I'd appreciate any recommendations. However, being a high school student, I do kinda have a budget so if you could give me a store link for any new hardware, I'd greatly appreciate it :)  .

More about : setup handle ati 7970

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 8:36:26 PM

Hi

For the most part your PC will handle the HD7970 just fine, I'd personally grab an aftermarket cooler for your CPU and give it an overclock just to get a bit more performance.

What resolution do you play at?
May 24, 2012 8:39:25 PM

Only at 1600X900. I've never been a fan of big moniters. I really appreciate the help, but I do have one question. Since the cards pretty big, will it fit in an Apevia X-Plorer 2 Case? My current card fits with quite the bit of space left, and there's also a spot to pull out extra hard drive trays in case the card needs more space. Thank you again for your help! :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 8:43:22 PM

The product description of the case says:

"High end graphics card support, the Gamma features space that is especially designed to fit longer 12" cards"

The video card is 10.8" long.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 8:46:10 PM

Ah right that's a fairly low resolution, my concern is that your CPU will hold back the full power of the HD7970 in some games, hense the suggestion of overclocking.
Your case will be fine, but it looks like you will have to remove the HDD cage.
m
l
May 24, 2012 8:46:24 PM

:D  Thanks. Don't know why i didn't go to the product page :p 
m
l
May 24, 2012 8:48:00 PM

Actually, my motherboard does have the option to use a core unlocker, should I activate it after installing the card?
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:07:53 PM

Best answer selected by CuzinNiko.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 9:11:47 PM

CuzinNiko said:
Actually, my motherboard does have the option to use a core unlocker, should I activate it after installing the card?

What your really after is increased clock speed rather than more cores as most games won't use more than four cores.

If you do decide to overclock your processor then just create a new thread in the overclocking section and we'll give you any help you need.
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:24:53 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'll get on the overclock topic at a later time. I'm just glad to know that I can just buy the card without extra hardware.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2012 9:39:07 PM

Why spend so much money for such a low resolution? Go with a 7850 or something, dont need a 7970 for such a low resolution.
m
l
May 24, 2012 11:36:06 PM

Well, if the card performs just as awesome as everyone says it will, I might as well get a bigger moniter. But its also because my current card can't handle certain games properly, so I'd like to make a long-term investment.
m
l
!