Solved

Radeon HD 7770 vs 6870

Hey guys,

I'm customizing a gaming computer on a budget. I've narrowed it down to 2 graphics cards
- AMD Radeon HD 7770 - 1GB
- AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB

I'm leaning towards the 7770 because its the new generation, and because it will save me $22

Which should i get? is the 6870 worth the extra money? I'm already spending more than i really had planned on so I don't want to spend more unless it's really worth it

Oh and the game i am planning on playing mainly is Star Wars the Old Republic if that helps
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 7770 6870
  1. Best answer
    Hi

The HD6870 is the clear performance winner, but the HD7770 does offer better power consumption and temps

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=540

I'd personally go for the HD6870, but its really down to what your looking for from a graphics card.
  2. does the fact that its the older generation effect anything? i'm hoping that this will last me a long time
  3. bigh117 said:
    does the fact that its the older generation effect anything? i'm hoping that this will last me a long time

Nothing substantial, the HD7770 will have lower idle power consumption due to its zero-core technology, there's no difference in Direct X technology so the HD6870 will play all the games the HD7770 can with the same settings.
  4. Generally when I make a decision for a graphics card, I sort by all the cards that use a 256 bit memory interface and then find one that is priced right and has the options I want. I've been eye balling the 6870 because it has recently come down in price and has the 256-bit setup.

That will give you such a boost in memory bandwidth and, I think, makes one of the biggest impacts on performance than any other feature.

The 6850 is a strong performer and will cost about what the 7770 does... but then again... its only $22 more!

Dry
  5. Best answer selected by bigh117.
  6. haha thanks guys! i'll be picking up a 6870 for myself :)
  7. bigh117 said:
    haha thanks guys! i'll be picking up a 6870 for myself :)

Enjoy your new card! :sol:
  8. im picking one up today too, i had the same debate, but the price/performance ratio on the 6870 is much better
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Radeon Graphics Product