Help Building a New PC

Delayy

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Okay, I want to build a whole new computer, one part at a time, ~$100 per part.

I basically want to keep using my old junk dell computer to surf the web etc as I go, so basically I'll start with a new case, put all this into a new case, then each week get a new piece to replace the old part with. What parts should I get, in what order for maximum efficiency?

What order should I buy parts to make the PC running fast? What parts should I get (specific)

PC is for gaming / streaming.

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Case, Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU (Now you can use it), GPU, Peripherals. You can't replace new parts into your old machine, unless you buy old parts. I highly doubt that the latest Ivy Bridge CPUS are compatible with whatever socket the mobo in your computer supports. And if it is old, it's probably DDR or DDR2 memory. Current standard is DDR3.

What are you going to be doing with this new build (gaming) and what is your total budget? Your plan to buy 1 part at a time and keep replacing will not work. If you buy a new CPU for example it most likely will not work with your motherboard. I would figure what your budget is and save that amount and then come back and people will help you with a build at that point

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
If your going to be upgrading, the path basicly has to go something like this.
New case (if you want one)
New mobo and CPU (at the same time)
new RAM
new PSU
new GPU
then new peripherals

you wont be able to get a new mobo because the old CPU probably wont work in the new one.

Delayy

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

I want a whole new machine. I'm simply putting my old machine into a new case, and adding new parts as I can afford them, I'm asking the order of which to buy them to make the machine still be able to function. IE. I can't buy a high end graphics card before buying a new power supply.. etc.

you wont be able to get a new mobo because the old CPU probably wont work in the new one.

Why can't I change CPU's?

What are you going to be doing with this new build (gaming) and what is your total budget? Your plan to buy 1 part at a time and keep replacing will not work. If you buy a new CPU for example it most likely will not work with your motherboard. I would figure what your budget is and save that amount and then come back and people will help you with a build at that point

I'm going to be playing games / streaming, hopefully in high quality. And again, my budget is approx. ~$100 per piece.

And is there really NO single or set of two pieces I could buy to increase the speed of my machine without waiting two months? Why wouldn't say... a new power supply, then a video card work? I don't really want to wait THAT long if possible.

ALso, spending $100 per part will not give you a balanced build. To play games at high quality you will need to spend more of your budget on your cpu/gpu (I would go with an Intel I5 build) with atleast a $250 to $300 gpu for higher performance.
A good case can cost about $50 to $60 dollars. Here is an example:

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 $229
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti $299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
The new CPU probably won't work with your existing mobo because they're probably different sockets. If you have a Core 2 Duo, thats LGA 775. The latest Ivy Bridges are LGA 1155. They're different sockets.