Sign in with
Your question

Question about slowdown

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2012 11:26:25 PM

Specs are in my sig, but here is my dilemma:

After installing my new build, I reinstalled Windows, all my programs and games. However, when I load some games (Dirt 3, BF3, Skyrim) it won't load all the way through and I will experience SEVERE slowdown to a point where I can do anything except hard-restart.

Fifa 12 will take multiple times of me going into Origin and clicking "play" in order for it work.

I have checked all my connections and ran an anti-virus program to no avail. I did change some of the startup settings in "MSconfig" but I don't think that would affect anything. It is ONLY games that are affected.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I going to have to reinstall windows?
---
Intel i5-2500k @ 4.0 ghz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM | Sapphire Radeon 6970 | ASRock Z77 Pro | CM - Hyper 212 | OCZ 700W PSU | CM - Scout | 24'' LCD 1080p | 5.1 SS

More about : question slowdown

a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2012 11:51:23 PM

Have you tried CCleaner?
m
l
July 18, 2012 12:47:22 AM

I used it to clean basic stuff, but nothing in the registry.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 5:00:21 PM

Anyone have any ideas, I would appreciate it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2012 5:18:30 PM

You might try reinstalling the games themselves. Their installations could be corrupted.
m
l
July 18, 2012 5:41:36 PM

Tried to reinstall all the games that I was having trouble with. The problems was not happening with BF3, but then it started to. Dirt 3 the problem still happens.

It could be a heat problem, so I am going to check that. It is possible that I may have put too much thermal paste on and if so I will clean the CPU with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Not sure why it is only happening with games and not when I am doing 5 things at once (running a movie, audio, browsing the web, etc.)
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:40:09 PM

Temps are good, thermal paste is good.

Don't know what the problem is. Also, when installing some programs, icons don't seem to show up (HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Dirt 3, and some others.)

Very confused at this point.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2012 12:41:06 PM

Ok, so I see that you've OCed your CPU a bit. My advice then would be to put everything back to factory settings - CPU, RAM, GPU, everything. See if that makes a difference.

Here's my other thought - download a hard drive monitoring program and see if you have a hard drive problem. At the very least, a defrag might help.
m
l
!