Question about slowdown

Specs are in my sig, but here is my dilemma:

After installing my new build, I reinstalled Windows, all my programs and games. However, when I load some games (Dirt 3, BF3, Skyrim) it won't load all the way through and I will experience SEVERE slowdown to a point where I can do anything except hard-restart.

Fifa 12 will take multiple times of me going into Origin and clicking "play" in order for it work.

I have checked all my connections and ran an anti-virus program to no avail. I did change some of the startup settings in "MSconfig" but I don't think that would affect anything. It is ONLY games that are affected.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I going to have to reinstall windows?
---
Intel i5-2500k @ 4.0 ghz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM | Sapphire Radeon 6970 | ASRock Z77 Pro | CM - Hyper 212 | OCZ 700W PSU | CM - Scout | 24'' LCD 1080p | 5.1 SS
7 answers Last reply
More about question slowdown
  1. Have you tried CCleaner?
  2. I used it to clean basic stuff, but nothing in the registry.
  3. Anyone have any ideas, I would appreciate it.
  4. You might try reinstalling the games themselves. Their installations could be corrupted.
  5. Tried to reinstall all the games that I was having trouble with. The problems was not happening with BF3, but then it started to. Dirt 3 the problem still happens.

It could be a heat problem, so I am going to check that. It is possible that I may have put too much thermal paste on and if so I will clean the CPU with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Not sure why it is only happening with games and not when I am doing 5 things at once (running a movie, audio, browsing the web, etc.)
  6. Temps are good, thermal paste is good.

Don't know what the problem is. Also, when installing some programs, icons don't seem to show up (HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Dirt 3, and some others.)

Very confused at this point.
  7. Ok, so I see that you've OCed your CPU a bit. My advice then would be to put everything back to factory settings - CPU, RAM, GPU, everything. See if that makes a difference.

Here's my other thought - download a hard drive monitoring program and see if you have a hard drive problem. At the very least, a defrag might help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems