going from US to South Africa, help with unlocking and rat..

I saw some discussion here about traveling abroad and having an
unlocked phone so one could switch the sim card etc. to get cheaper
calling rates.

I am a total babe in the woods on that. I am about to go to South
Africa for a 10-12 weeks period and would love to learn what I could
do to avoid paying ATT's $1.29 (at least) for every outgoing and
incoming minute.

I am swapping my Nokia 3620 for a 3650 (the one with the weird keypad)
because it has the two frequencies used in South Africa. How can I
unlock that phone, and after that, what do I do, where do I "go" to
get cheaper rates/ a different SIM etc.?

I would really appreciate any help on this!
3 answers Last reply
More about going south africa unlocking

    First you need to ascertain that your phone will work on the SA
    frequencies. Check
    http://www.gsmworld.com/news/statistics/networks_complete.shtml to
    determine this.

    Then you will need to unlock your phone. This can be done getting the
    unlock code online, or you could buy the cable that connects to the
    phone and use an unlock program.

    Once you are in SA, you can decide on which of the providers will have
    the best local coverage for you. Then you'll need to buy their SIM
    card and set up your service.

    Good luck.

    Nina wrote:
    > I saw some discussion here about traveling abroad and having an
    > unlocked phone so one could switch the sim card etc. to get cheaper
    > calling rates.
    >
    > I am a total babe in the woods on that. I am about to go to South
    > Africa for a 10-12 weeks period and would love to learn what I could
    > do to avoid paying ATT's $1.29 (at least) for every outgoing and
    > incoming minute.
    >
    > I am swapping my Nokia 3620 for a 3650 (the one with the weird keypad)
    > because it has the two frequencies used in South Africa. How can I
    > unlock that phone, and after that, what do I do, where do I "go" to
    > get cheaper rates/ a different SIM etc.?
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help on this!

    Hi Nina,

    The 3650 does indeed work in S.A.

    You can get a PAYG (Pay-As-You-Go) SIM in S.A. That way you don't pay a
    part of the roaming fee when receiving calls. (If you were to use your
    current SIM).

    We have 3 CSP's (Cellular Service Providers) to choose from:

    1) Vodacom: 60% share of cell users, cheapest PAYG tariffs (incl.
    international), most expensive PAYG starter pack

    2) MTN: First CSP in SA, tariffs slightly more expensive than Vodacom

    3) Cell C: Youngest & smallest of the 3 CSP's, aimed at the "hip" young
    market. Cheapest PAYG Starter packs, most expensive PAYG tariffs

    I would suggest Vodacom seeing you would probably spend more money on
    calls in 10-12 weeks than what you pay for a PAYG starter pack.

    Another thing - sell your PAYG SIM to someone in S.A. before you return
    to the U.S.

    Hope this helps you.
    Enjoy your stay in sunny South Africa

    vortex <vortex@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:<ce5qdb$q1m$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...