Fumes coming out of new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I'm trying to assemble a new pc. The cabinet,dvd and the psu are old ones (450W PSU).
The specs are:
Gigabyte 970A Ds3 Mobo (New)
8G DDR3 corsair vengeance (New)
AMD fx 6100 (New)
MSI R7770 graphics 1G
I connected all the components as given in the guide and tried to boot the pc.
Now, the pc wont boot.. (None of the fans seemed to work and no LEDs) I left it that way for 2 min when smoke and fumes started coming out. I don't know where they started as I immediately switched everything off. I tried to see what's hot but of no use. I'm worried if something is spoilt. Can anyone please point me what might have gone wrong.. Eagerly waiting for any response.. Thanks in advance..

Solution
Worst part is the damn floppy plug fits a 4 pin fan header.

I sure as hell hope you just tried the fan controller on the board. Then everything else may still work.

cl-scott

Honorable
Any time you have smoke coming out of electronic equipment, it's never a good thing. Probably 99.99999999999999999% of the time SOMETHING has been ruined beyond all hope of repair.

To figure out just how extensive the damage is, however, you'll have to inspect each and every component looking for scorch damage, and then go from there.

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for your reply.
What happened is this: I connected all the required wires properly according to manual. At last there is one dangling wire which fit the label PWR_FAN on the motherboard , so I connected it, thinking motherboard supplies power to the psu fan as well.(I know its dumb) Now I remember that the wire was dangling in the earlier build as well.. This is the wire which is burnt up. Now what is possible? Motherboard spoilt? G card spoilt?

Thanks,
Surya

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Well, where did the wire come from? if it came from the motherboard, you were taking power and running it in a circle amplifying itself until something started smoking.

Other question, did the connector look something like this?

http://cdn.overclock.net/6/60/60342fc3_vbattach127330.jpeg

Best case scenario, you just burnt out a small circuit and you can't ever use an aftermarket cooling fan. Worst case, you compromised your mobo.

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

The wire I connected is the 4 hole wire from the PSU. Not the 3 hole one like the image. This wire is burnt. What I understood is I gave the power supply directly to the motherboard. So, you are saying that it is possible that my motherboard is fine? I haven't tried booting it up, but if I want to see what went wrong, any ways to diagnose the problem? I already disconnected the GPU..

cmi86

Distinguished
If you put full PSU power into a fan header on the mobo I am almost 100% positive you fried your board. It is possible the PSU sensed the short and protected it's self against failure but that mobo is likely toast. Look for burnhing or discoloration around the header that was attached to

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Exactly! I connected everything according to how it was on the old Mobo and forgot where this last floppy power connector went.. Actually thrs no floppy in either, Ended up plugging it into the only empty slot(power for external fan) even without noticing that the number of pins are different :/

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

There is no discoloration on the board.. But the one of the black wire of the floppy connector is is half burnt..

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Ok, if it is only the motherboard, fine.. But my worry is that the graphic card is powered by the same set of wires. Is it possible that the gpu is fried too?

dingo07

Distinguished
a picture is worth a thousand words...

no offense OP, but with your (seemingly) lack of knowledge, I suspect you even know what the wires are and goto

if u open up the case and take a couple pictures of how it's wired, it will 100% be solved almost instantly by someone here - but speculation will get us all nowhere

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the pointers.. here are the pictures.. Sorry for the bad picture quality.. F panel connectors:
http://flic.kr/p/dxbCLq and http://flic.kr/p/dx6aEF (These I connected according to user manual of motherboard, looking at the block diagram and connecting power leds, power, hd leds and reset sw) I'm sure the +s annd -s are right.
Power to Mobo http://flic.kr/p/dx6azv
There is are 3 pins left of the power labelled PWR_FAN (Not clear enough in the picture), where I connected this 4 pin socket from power supply.. I guess it is the floppy power as someone mentioned. http://flic.kr/p/dxbCFW is the 4 pin socket (center of photo)

The only thing I see here is a missing 4 pin cpu power connector(its a square with 4 pins yellow and black, like the video card power but only 4 pins).

Now plugging the 4 pin plug into a fan connector was bad for sure as it sends 12 and 5 volts into spots that are ground(instant short) and pwm signal. No way to know how much damage was done.

A recheck of the power switch cables would not hurt.

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Again thanks for the reply.. I connected the 4 pin connector as well in the initial setup.. Its above the CPU in the third image, though it was not connected in the image..

Now is there anyway to know the exact extent of damage? (Say steps to know what all are working and what are not..)

I rechecked the power switch cables..

I disconnected the problematic wire and tried booting up.. the hdd led comes up as usual.(might be the power supply is fine.) I switched it on and no indications of any bootup.. waited 5 secs and immediately switched it off.

You only way to test now would be to swap parts to another system.

Most quality power supplies will cut power before getting damaged. The cpu should have a good chance as should the video card and memory.

I am almost going to guess its all down to the board, but its hard to say as power was send to a place it should never have gone.

If you have another system or a friends system to test with, you can test the power supply/video card/memory and maybe even the cpu if they have an AMD build that supports your chip.

gsurya

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Thanks once again.. I tested it as you mentioned.. the power supply is spoilt and surprisingly the motherboard,video card and cpu seem to be fine too.. I guess its only the external fan part of the board which is fried.. Thanks for all your support!! I'm gonna get a new power supply and get it rocking!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.