Products for cleaning computer cases and lcd screens

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I'm not sure where on this forum to ask these questions, so if a moderator knows of a more appropriate section...

What do you guys use to clean the outside of your cases, both desktops and laptops? I heard a guy on a podcast recently say he uses some sort of auto leather conditioner/cleaner on his customers' cases. Says it puts a nice shine on 'em. It seems that some sort of auto interior cleaner would be good to revitalize the exterior, like Armor All or Meguiar's vinyl & plastic cleaners. I dunno about what that would do for painted metal exteriors. Does anyone here use stuff like this? Any other ideas?

Also, I know that you should avoid glass cleaners with ammonia in them, like Windex, to clean lcd screens. Any of you use some other non-ammonia based cleaner for lcd screens, like Glass Plus? Specifically, I'm referring to any commonly found cleaner that isn't marketed as a specialty item for lcd/plasma type screens. I see that there's a product called "Invisible Shine" that says it evaporates 100% and leaves no residue, though I cannot find whether or not it contains ammonia, so I'm not sure if there's anything in there that would have a non-desirable chemical reaction with the screen materials.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the input, Jeff. That's a pretty minimalist concoction you have there. Nothing wrong with that. I don't suppose it would leave the case exterior with a *like new* shine, but it would be good for removing any griminess. Hopefully the smell of the vinegar doesn't linger too long: I imagine it would dissipate pretty quickly given the dilution. Would someone have to be concerned about the acid in the vinegar harming an lcd screen, or is the 3:1 solution enough to weaken the acid content to the point that it would be okay?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Actually you will be supprised. It gives my Sony Bravia a VERY nice shine, brings out the "Piano" black a lot!

You just use a empty spray bottle to apply it and wipe it off, it should spend less than 10 seconds or so on surface.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
OH! I also forgot to say you might want to wipe it off really good maybe twice as long as you would windex on glass.

It also gives it a real sticky feel, not greasy like some other cleaners, which I personally like.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
A sticky feel? Hm. Well, I don't know. You mean it's left with a sort of grippiness? I certainly wouldn't want to leave the exterior of a computer feeling too slick. Not good for handling/transporting. I do like the idea of an Armor All or similar product, though, because of the shine and UV protection. Some have a non-greasy formula. That and your computer can have a New Car smell!

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Yea, kinda like Armor All... lol, its not like duck tape residue or anything, more like when you pull the plastic cover off of your new cellphones screen or simular, I personally like it.

Sorry for making that confusing... lol

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Do not use alcohol based solutions. Most LCD/CRT's are coated, and the alcohol will dissolve a little bit of the coating each time you clean with it. Warm water on a damp, cotton or microfiber cloth is what I see consistently recommended by manufacturers. Vinegar might work well as Jeff said, but I have to do some research on whether or not the acidity interacts with the coatings for coated screens.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

So no ammonia or alcohol. That knocks out an awful lot of common cleaners.

For cases, any cleaning solution I suppose would work, so long as you use clean towels to avoid scratching cases.
Yeah, there are lots of things that you can use to clean cases off. What I want is ideas for cleaners that will leave the surface of the case looking really nice & shiny without leaving an oily feeling.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
In answer to one of my original questions, I went out and bought a bottle of "Invisible Glass." Upon opening the bottle, it has a very strong smell of ammonia. So, it's probably not for use on lcd screens. It did a great job on my bathroom mirror, though. I'm gonna give my car a good wash/wax this weekend and use this on my windows. Can't wait to see the results.

As to the Glass Plus, I found this on their web site:

Q: What ingredients are in Glass Plus® products?

A: Glass Plus® contains biodegradable cleaning agents (surfactants), fragrance and water. They do not contain alcohol, animal by products, ammonia, bleach or phosphates.

They also have computer screens on their list of surfaces that are not harmed by GP. There's an image of a flat screen monitor on the reverse of my bottle's label.

Also, I bought a bottle of Meguiar's Supreme Shine Hi-Gloss Protectant with Scotchguard to try on a computer case. I used it on an 8 year old HP case my aunt gave me recently. It did indeed revitalize the look. Brought the color back and it's really nice looking. Not like a sparkley shine or anything. Just a nice sheen like new. The material is a very slightly textured plastic, so it isn't going to be shiny, shiny anyway. I also used it on a Dell Inspiron 1318 laptop (c. 4 years old). The top of the lid is a smooth plastic, and this stuff got it very shiny, like it's supposed to be. So this stuff works well, plus it provides UV protection, which is good.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

for cases, you are usually safe with an alcohol based solution if the case is oily and greasy from hand prints. If the case is matte painted, you can use just water based agents with a mild soap.