Installing Graphics Card Question

uzyy

Honorable
May 24, 2012
After using the integrated graphics from my i5 2400 for the last few months (built computer late summer) I've decided to add in a graphics card to do some light gaming. I've done a bit of research and watched some videos on how to install a card which looks pretty simple. The question I have is how does the computer recognize the card? I did a search and have read many answers so I just want to confirm.

When I install the card do I just plug my monitor into it, boot the computer up, then install and update the drivers? Or do I have to go into the bios/device manager to switch/disable the onboard graphics card first.

Specs:
i5 2400 Sandy Bridge CPU
Asrock z68 Pro3 Motherboard
8 gb Ram
1 TB HD
XFX 550w PSU (planned to use as a gaming rig at first, but now its an overpowered family computer lol)
Antec 300 Illusion Case
ASUS Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121442&Tpk=N82E16814121442 (most likely the card I'm getting, unless you guys know a better one in the same price range)

I know I can probably get a better video card with a 550w PSU, but I'm just looking for one under $100 for casual gaming.

Guttersnipe

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
uninstall the onboard graphics card drivers then turn off PC
connect new video card
plug monitor in the new video card input and turn it on
go to bios disable onboard graphics adapter
now install latest drivers for your graphics card from manufacture website. assuming your buying radeon so you would go http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx for latest drivers

following these step will give you best performance for your new video card disabling onboard graphics card will help your computer recognize your new video card faster and better and not waste usage detecting the unused onboard video.

- Install the graphic card when the PC is unplugged.
- Boot the PC and go into the BIOS screen. Press down the [DEL] key as soon as you turn on the PC.
- Look around for where you can set the motherboard to use the install card. It might be in something like "Advanced Chipset Features" or something like that. It differs from motherboard to motherboard. Set it to PCI-e slot or auto detect.
-Save your BIOS changes then re-boot.
- Install the graphic drivers once you are in Windows.