Sign in with
Your question

What gtx 670 to get

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 10:15:43 PM

Hi,

i am build a gaming computer, it has an i5 3570k@ 4.6ghz, msi z77 gd 65, anyways on to the real part so what brand / model of the gtx 670 should i get

Also, Is there a diffrence between an asus gtx 670 dcuii and an asus gtx 670 dcuii top or is the only diffrence the factory overclock which i can do easily.

Anyways the cards i am looking at are

asus gtx 670 dcuii top or the reg if its the same- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$400-430 "depending on version"
gigabyte gtx 670 windforce 3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$400

or the final option wait and see what msi brings to the table and if that is better

So which of these would oc better and be cooler or quieter,

and do u think msi is going to realse their card before june or beging of june becuse i have some patience but not alot.

Thank you for your time :hello: 

More about : gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 12:44:29 AM

DCUII cards use higher quality components.
Related resources
May 25, 2012 12:56:22 AM

i may or may not depending on budget constrants and or if the 700 series is good or just a meh upgrade over these but im reading the gigabyte arent good in sli but still nothing on msi man they are so late to the partyjavascript: validform(this);
May 25, 2012 1:00:02 AM

can i ask what is higher quality in them other than the 6 phase power supply?
May 25, 2012 1:14:43 AM

jsrudd said:
DCUII cards use higher quality components.

I'm also getting 670 for my new PC tho I don't know which one.. I'm planning on sli later on but for now..What do you mean by higher quality components?For now my choice is 670 EVGA FTW
May 25, 2012 1:19:36 AM

ahh well yah i personally dont like how the ftw looks like a refrence 680 becuse it has refrence cooling basically and the foot man guy in that forum must have got bad cards cause ive read very good things about them but i have read for sli they arent the best cards but yah im still torn between asus, gigabyte, or waiting for msi to join with there power edition or twin frozr or whatever they feel like calling it
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 2:00:11 AM

Some of the EVGA gtx 670 SC cards are apparently being recalled or something, Evga is offering a free replacement to the gtx 670 FTW so they must be ok. EVGA has very good customer service, and makes good cards from what i have seen. Asus has had some problems with some of their DC II cards, however they have a 6 phase power supply, and also the entire power circuitry (MOSFETS, CHOKES, etc). ASUS also includes a backplate. Do you plan on overclocking? Also just to answer your question, the Asus gtx 670 DC II TOP is basically the DC II but it has been further factory overclocked. You could overclock yourself. Look into the EVGA cards, the Asus DC II, or the Gigabyte Windforce 3.
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 2:06:53 AM

Some of the Evga cards are having problems, i found this thread here on tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/355034-33-constantly-...
If you want an aftermarket card with improved cooling you should choose between the Asus Direct CU II, and the Windforce 3, both are good. However the Gigabyte Windforce is not too good if you plan to run two or more of these cards in SLI (some overheat in certain SLI configurations), however if you plan on only having one of them then its fine.
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 2:07:55 AM

I bought a EVGA GTX 670 (non SOC) day 1 of release. Haven't had a single issue with it.

I plan on either keeping it as is because it rocks ass (came with a highflow bracket not advertised so temps way better than other ref cards). Or stepping it up to a 4GB model w/ backplate or 680 w/ backplate (possibly 4GB)

Plus their warranty :) 

As well the card looks amazing, and has given me excellent temps.

60C @ 60fps vsync 1080p 2ms max settings BF3 @ 70% fan speed (barely audible, sounds nice) 75% to 80% is loud but not as loud as you think for max fan speed (80%) Quieter than the Windforce for sure.

My 6950s were about as loud at same type of max speeds (80-100%) and they were Twin Frozr III designs :/  (ofc I mean 1 card vs 1 card)
May 25, 2012 2:29:55 AM

well not to contradict u but the high flow bracket has been proven by multiple sites not to improve temps im to lazy to get a link but google it, 4 gb is for the most part useless unless u do game on 3 monitors with high res, and its nice to have a lifetime warranty almost pointless with these cards tho cause u know ull be upgrading within 3 years anyways, and the reason i want to go after market cooler is really i could care less about how loud the card is thats y i have speakers lol i just want the best overclocker so i can get the most out of my card without doing the inevitable wcing.
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 25, 2012 2:42:48 AM

the top cards are binned higher than regular dircetcu2s
May 25, 2012 3:24:52 AM

so since the asus cards are binned is it worth the extra 30 dollars over the gigabyte versions since they both use very similar coolers that perform almost the same?
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 3:35:00 AM

Well, the Asus card is made for overclocking, and the TOP versions are presumably "cherry picked", in other words binned higher. That should allow for higher overclocks. Also the Asus card has custom components like a Chil voltage controller, and custom power circuitry for better overclocking, they also include a nice backplate. So for $30 thats not bad, considering a backplate itself can be $20. Also FYI from what I have heard the coolers for both the Asus card, and the Gigabyte card are made by Coolermaster, so they are a bit similar. They are both very cool, and both have the longer PCB, not the short stock gtx 670 PCB.

Hope this helps
May 25, 2012 3:42:35 AM

thank you for once some body coming with facts so i should probally go the asus route the top version even tho it is an extra 30 dollars becuse of the better voltage controller and the cherry picked status , plus the back plate lol yah i was looking to get a backplate anyways if i got the gigabyte cause even tho majority of my case is blue its just not the right shade of blue, lets just hope the top version comes back in stock soon before the msi one comes in becuse ill hesitate again and they will be out of stock again. and im just assuming this but the asus dont have problems in sli just in case i decide to go that route.
May 25, 2012 3:58:18 AM

also is the dual 6 pin design anything to worry about, just wondering cause i know the windforce has a 6, 6+2 design and asus has a 6,6 design
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 4:01:49 AM

You shouldn't see any problems, they are fairly efficient cards, if I remember correctly the Asus draws a max of 170watts on load, so fairly little. The 6+6pin will provide 225watts of power (75 per each 6pin, plus 75 from the PCI-E slot). So you should still have plenty of headroom for overclocking. Considering others were able to overclock it nicely without power issues it should be fine.
May 25, 2012 4:15:11 AM

k thanks for the reassurance i thought it didnt matter and i knew what the power delivery was just didnt know how much power it drew so looks like ill get a asus dcuii top gtx 670 if they ever come in stock, hopefully one that does 1300mhz ahh one can dream
May 25, 2012 7:12:46 AM

i have a gigabyte 670 oc and it performs well in anything i throw at it
temperatures at really good as well

but if i had a choice i would've probably waited for the MSI, but meh, i didnt want to wait =)
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 11:31:44 AM

phemonus said:
well not to contradict you but

Well not to contradict you but from viewing legitimate reviewers about ref 670s using similar fan settings (if not max) showing ridiculously higher temps in a much cooler ambient temp benchtests.

I guess my case just has superior cooling then if your suggestions are actual "facts" ;0

May 25, 2012 7:19:40 PM

well hate to break it too you but those benchmarks are designed to push graphics cards past there limits and not normal gaming they overload the heat for example if they use furmark its a good 15 degrees hotter than bf3 which explains why ur card is around 60ish during bf3 plus there is the card lottery to take into consideration, but if u really think about it what is that highflow air bracket doing to lower tempuratures nothing, but it probally lowers sound becuse the fan doesnt have to create more pressure to get air out at the same rate so it decreases sound not tempuratures
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 7:32:28 PM

phemonus said:
well hate to break it too you but those benchmarks are designed to push graphics cards past there limits and not normal gaming they overload the heat for example if they use furmark its a good 15 degrees hotter than bf3 which explains why ur card is around 60ish during bf3 plus there is the card lottery to take into consideration, but if u really think about it what is that highflow air bracket doing to lower tempuratures nothing, but it probally lowers sound becuse the fan doesnt have to create more pressure to get air out at the same rate so it decreases sound not tempuratures

Tomatoe tomato

You say bracket does nothing, I counter with logic/experience/reviews of other reference cards.

Yeah the HFB doesn't help at all, it just gives me 10C+ less temps than same ref cards running same games with same fan settings.

I guess I am dreaming and all of this info I have digested was actually just a figmant of my imagination and I am bout to awake from this awkward dream.

I am still havin a hard time grasping the fact that you mention benchmark programs when I clearly was comparing GAME V GAME comparisions and not game vs bench..

I hate to break it to ya but maybe you should read a little more before trying to belittle me with fallacies and illogical non responsive arguments that avoid any real confrontation with what I am trying to point out.

This is the world we live in, you try to enlighten people and get shunned.

The earth is flat all over again.
!