Is my CPU a 34bit or a 32bit?

Ok i have a Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 @32bit,but when i read around it supposed to run on a 64bit architecture,and it uses x86-64bit instruction set,Lets say i wanted to run Windows XP its says i ned to install APIC i believe,would a bios update make it a 64bit?
5 answers Last reply
More about 34bit 32bit
  1. There are three things that need to all be present for the full effects of a 64-bit platform to be realized:

1: A 64-bit CPU (which you have)
    2: A 64-bit OS (which XP is not)
    3: A 64-bit program

You can get away with just #1 & #2, though it's not necessarily a given that an OS will have 32-bit backwards compatibility. It's something companies choose to add in.

So if you wanted to upgrade to Vista or later, there are officially supported 64-bit versions of Windows. While there was a 64-bit version of XP, it should be avoided. Driver support was always poor at best, and Microsoft ceased all support for it several years ago. Support for it's 32-bit sibling is drawing rapidly to a close, and so the wise person would consider XP a non-option for running on any computer that will be connected to the Internet.
  2. ok thank you for your answer i have another question right now this CPU is running on 32bit is it safe to upgrade to 64bit?
  3. Yes it is safe to upgrade to 32 or 64 bit.
  4. when im installing windows 7 it showing me that its not capable with this version of windows, right now im on Win7 32bit do i have to do a fresh reinstall for 64bit windows?
  5. BlazerX said:
    when im installing windows 7 it showing me that its not capable with this version of windows, right now im on Win7 32bit do i have to do a fresh reinstall for 64bit windows?

Yes. There is no way to do go from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS, or the other way around, short of doing a clean install.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs