Sign in with
Your question

Difference between CU II/CU II TOP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2012 10:21:58 PM

If I am understanding this correctly, the only difference between the CU II and the CU II TOP is what the factory settings are, correct? Will a manual over clock make the CU II equal to CU II TOP in performance?

PS: Is this correct? core clock = speed at idle. boost clock = speed during gaming

More about : difference top

May 25, 2012 1:39:51 AM

yes the TOP is the overclocked version of ASUS GTX 670/680 models. you are correct. the TOP is expected to retail at 439.99 each while the regular variant sell for 419.99 each because of the non reference cooler.
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:48:33 AM

The difference between the CU II and the CU II TOP is that the CU II TOP is factory overclocked higher. However both cards use the same Direct CU II cooler to keep it cool :) 
The gtx 600's have dynamic clocks to which they boost too. The Gtx 670 Cu II TOP is going to run at the clock that Asus has advertised, and will boost to where it can. The direct CU II (non TOP) will run at its advertised clock which will be a bit lower, however you could overclock it to match that of the TOP version. The TOP version however is guaranteed to run at that higher speed, overclocking the DC II (non TOP) your results may vary, however you should be able to push the card to the same clocks/or past the TOP version. The difference is that the TOP is already Oc'd further for you, but you can do that yourself.
m
l
Related resources
a c 404 Î Nvidia
May 25, 2012 2:20:32 AM

TOP uses higher binned chips that are more reliable when overclocking. The chips that aren't good enough to pass TOP standards go into the regular models.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2012 2:29:08 AM

like the guys said above, it comes with a decent factory OC than the other cards, but with extra materials and components in a customized PCB it includes a backplate for stability, additional power phases and is highly binned to allow for more OCing.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:22:46 PM

Is rivatuner still the preferred overclocking tool for the NVIDIA gpus? Any helpful guides you can recommend me on overclocking gpus will be much appreciated it. I dabbled with overclocking before but not very seriously.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2012 9:27:05 PM

Any brand out there has included a software bundled with your card to OC the GPU, in case you buy Asus card you'll be using Asus GPU Tweak. It's so easy to use.
m
l
a c 404 Î Nvidia
May 25, 2012 9:36:57 PM

paperrockbazooka said:
Is rivatuner still the preferred overclocking tool for the NVIDIA gpus? Any helpful guides you can recommend me on overclocking gpus will be much appreciated it. I dabbled with overclocking before but not very seriously.

Rivatuner has morphed into Afterburner. It's a lot easier to use now. Here's an overclock guide:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock...
m
l
!