How To Make Your Own Thermal Paste!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, just a quick tip for today, how to make your own thermal paste, this is a temporary solution and you SHOULD replace it as soon as possible with branded stuff, anyway, it actually works really well. So, if you can't be assed to go to the shops, try this.

So, here are the steps:

Get a small box/plastic container.
Put a ratio of about 75:25 with toothpaste (75%) and Vaseline (25%)
Give it a stir, make need to stir for quite a while for a good mix.
Get a syringe and fill it ready for application

Just some proof, i have this paste on a core 2 duo e7200 with a bad cooler, no copper or anything, and i get 30 degrees idle and 45 degress load, pretty good if you ask me.

If could even make a youtube video if any of you want more info.

Hope this helps.

Can be used on desktops, laptops, xbox 360's and stuff like that.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if this is better than the thermal pads you get with stock coolers.

A video would be cool, just to see that it actually works, the consistency the paste should be, best way to apply it, etc.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I'll try and get a video up tomorrow, in the meantime, you should try it. I have made loads in a container and top up the syringe as and when i need to. I'll probably even use this stuff on some higher end builds, it's actually really good.

Cheers!

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Not really sure, it's my first time using it, i would expect it to last for around 8 months - 1 year. It should be good.

Give it a go and try it on a old PC or something, see what you think.

socialfox

Distinguished

Is it easy to clean up? Don't want to leave a stain on my graphics card or anything :lol:

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Yeah, just like normal thermal grease, just make sure you mix it well. :)

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Any toothpaste that doesn't have grit in it, smooth is better, i used a random collection of toothpastes from the bathroom, sensodyne, aquafresh

It really doesn't matter what toothpaste you use, as long as it's grit free.

Cheers!

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I'll just replace it every 6 or so months, no big deal.

But when it is working, it's just as good as the grease that comes with cooler master heatsinks.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I was looking around just before trying this but is it true that when Vaseline is heated it turns into oil? Anyways I'm not going to try this on my build but on an old HD 5670 I have that I have laying around.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Funny you say that, I thought it did to until I heated some up to 100 degrees in a boiling tube, no oil.

I think it will work well for the graphics card, I use it for graphics, cpus and chipset.

Dec 24, 2015
thanks very much <3 it actually works! i tried it on my very old dusty laptop the heat rate was 85 to 90 every time and 90 is max idont know why but how ever i tried toothpaste and vaseline and now the heat rate is about 42 to 65 average is 46!
thank's

Status
Not open for further replies.