Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How To Make Your Own Thermal Paste!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 28, 2012 5:03:42 PM

Hi, just a quick tip for today, how to make your own thermal paste, this is a temporary solution and you SHOULD replace it as soon as possible with branded stuff, anyway, it actually works really well. So, if you can't be assed to go to the shops, try this.

So, here are the steps:

Get a small box/plastic container.
Put a ratio of about 75:25 with toothpaste (75%) and Vaseline (25%)
Give it a stir, make need to stir for quite a while for a good mix.
Get a syringe and fill it ready for application

Just some proof, i have this paste on a core 2 duo e7200 with a bad cooler, no copper or anything, and i get 30 degrees idle and 45 degress load, pretty good if you ask me.

If could even make a youtube video if any of you want more info.

Hope this helps.

Can be used on desktops, laptops, xbox 360's and stuff like that.

More about : make thermal paste

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 5:06:22 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if this is better than the thermal pads you get with stock coolers.

A video would be cool, just to see that it actually works, the consistency the paste should be, best way to apply it, etc.
November 28, 2012 5:47:59 PM

MajinCry said:
Wouldn't be surprised if this is better than the thermal pads you get with stock coolers.

A video would be cool, just to see that it actually works, the consistency the paste should be, best way to apply it, etc.


I'll try and get a video up tomorrow, in the meantime, you should try it. I have made loads in a container and top up the syringe as and when i need to. I'll probably even use this stuff on some higher end builds, it's actually really good.

Cheers!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 5:52:45 PM

How long does this stuff last? I also hear mustard is a good as well.
November 28, 2012 5:54:38 PM

socialfox said:
How long does this stuff last? I also hear mustard is a good as well.


Not really sure, it's my first time using it, i would expect it to last for around 8 months - 1 year. It should be good.

Give it a go and try it on a old PC or something, see what you think.
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 5:56:42 PM

thomasd221 said:
Not really sure, it's my first time using it, i would expect it to last for around 8 months - 1 year. It should be good.

Give it a go and try it on a old PC or something, see what you think.


Is it easy to clean up? Don't want to leave a stain on my graphics card or anything :lol: 
November 28, 2012 7:06:58 PM

socialfox said:
Is it easy to clean up? Don't want to leave a stain on my graphics card or anything :lol: 


Yeah, just like normal thermal grease, just make sure you mix it well. :) 
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 7:25:06 PM

Well I know I am getting nit picky about the details and apologize for that but what toothpaste did you use? Would be nice if you could actually post the name of it.
November 28, 2012 7:31:58 PM

socialfox said:
Well I know I am getting nit picky about the details and apologize for that but what toothpaste did you use? Would be nice if you could actually post the name of it.


Any toothpaste that doesn't have grit in it, smooth is better, i used a random collection of toothpastes from the bathroom, sensodyne, aquafresh

It really doesn't matter what toothpaste you use, as long as it's grit free.

Cheers!
a c 79 à CPUs
November 28, 2012 8:11:55 PM

it will dry out quicker than 8 months. just get some thermal paste. not worth the risk.
November 28, 2012 8:18:14 PM

socialfox said:
Thanks for the link, much appreciated! Think I'll give this a try tonight ;) 

Good good, I think you'll like it
November 28, 2012 8:20:33 PM

13thmonkey said:
it will dry out quicker than 8 months. just get some thermal paste. not worth the risk.


I'll just replace it every 6 or so months, no big deal.

But when it is working, it's just as good as the grease that comes with cooler master heatsinks.
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 8:29:00 PM

Hi :) 

Anyone who uses this is risking a VERY expensive cpu and motherboard if they get it wrong, all for saving less than £5/$

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2012 8:45:09 PM

Well I was looking around just before trying this but is it true that when Vaseline is heated it turns into oil? Anyways I'm not going to try this on my build but on an old HD 5670 I have that I have laying around.
November 28, 2012 9:00:13 PM

socialfox said:
Well I was looking around just before trying this but is it true that when Vaseline is heated it turns into oil? Anyways I'm not going to try this on my build but on an old HD 5670 I have that I have laying around.


Funny you say that, I thought it did to until I heated some up to 100 degrees in a boiling tube, no oil.

I think it will work well for the graphics card, I use it for graphics, cpus and chipset.
!